Cuba, officially the Republic of Cuba, is a island nation in the Caribbean. It is located where the Gulf of Mexico, and the Atlantic Ocean meet. It is south of the United States of America. It's capital and largest city is Havana.
In 1940, Mad scientist Dr. Bruno Varoz conducted his gruesome experiments on an island off the coast of Cuba. He created an army of Zombies which he unleashed upon the United States. Varoz and his island were destroyed by the robot Electro, which also put a stop to his creations.
In 1941, The Angel was in Cuba, where in the town of Sabatino he was investigating the reports that the nearby Castle de Sabatino was haunted. What he found there was voodoo practitioner Ricardo Amegos was using an army of Zombies to mine gold that he discovered beneath the castle. The Angel slew Amegos and his Zombies, turning the property over to its rightful owner, Jane Travers.
Team X accomplished several missions for both Weapon X Program and C.I.A.; agents Logan, codenamed Emilio Garra, and Sabretooth, codenamed El Tigre, were on a mission in Cuba after Kennedy's assassination, in 1963, where they had been betrayed by Silver Fox.
In 1967, The scientist Caldwell Rozza developed a serum that should have turned El Presidente into a super-human. However, because the Presidente didn't trusted Rozza, he made him drink the serum himself, turning him into the Crusher. He was sent on a mission to defeat Iron Man and taking down Stark Industries to prove his loyalty and dedication.
In the 1980's during his rule, Castro kicked out in 1980 the gays, intellectuals, writers, artists and mutants, among those Izzy Ortega's parents, who were poets, and himself, seven years old at that time. At some point, he also rounded up mutants and interned them in labor camps. More recently, he has stated "[he was] absolutely opposed to any form of repression, contempt, scorn or discrimination with regard to mutants".
The Humans for Genetic Equality who were led by Lazaro Rivera fought against the government over its anti-mutant policies, including the creation of a Sentinel program. Lazaro's brother Evangelina had technopathic abilities being used by the program to control Sentinels. Lazaro ended up killing Evangelina to stop the Sentinels under her control being sent to kill mutants.
Cuba is an islands country composed of a main island and another smaller. Located south and close of the Tropic of Cancer, it is surrounded at south by many islands of the Caribbean Sea (St. Cyril, Venom's Island, Althea Island, Jamaica), at east by Haiti and the Turks and Caicos Islands. Its west coast is close to Mexico's, while at large of its north's are the Bahamas and Florida.
The major language is the Spanish.
The Cubans use the Cuban peso as money.
The main resources of the Cuban economy are cobalt, nickel, iron ore, chromium, copper, silica, steel, cement, timber, salt, sugar, tobacco, agriculture, petroleum, construction, pharmaceuticals, agricultural machinery and tourism.
Revolutionary Armed Forces
It was stated that they formerly held a stockpiles of Sentinels to police their mutants. General Luis Diosvil was responsible for the Sentinel program in Bayamo. Evangelina Rivera was used by the military to help control the CPU of the Sentinels, until she was killed by her brother Lazaro, leader of the Humans for Genetic Equality, in order to save mutants threatened by the Sentinels. That program was ended partly thanks to the help of Mystique and Shortpack, under Charles Xavier's instructions.
At some point, he also rounded up mutants and interned them in labor camps.
More recently, he has stated "[he was] absolutely opposed to any form of repression, contempt, scorn or discrimination with regard to mutants".
The relations with the United States are still in the situation of the Cold War, The USA still remains present on the island by the Air Force base at Guantanamo Bay, which includes a S.H.I.E.L.D. facility.
Cuba and Fidel Castro seems also to have good relations with Wakanda:
- On T'Challa's coronation, Castro was among the nations' leaders to congratulate him, along President Bush, President Nelson Mandela and Prince Namor.
- Himself later attended to the wedding of Storm and Black Panther, again along Bush and Mandela.
Cuba is also a destination point for prostitution and slave labor.
Among the prisoners there are present Khalid el-Gamal of Al-Qaeda, and Hydra members, including Ferdnand Hedayet, captured by forces including the Cuban citizens Arturo Guttierez and Luisa Prohias.
Due to its politic, and possibly to other factors, there are many Cuban refugees, notably in the United States, among them the mutant Armena Ortega, Ismael Ortega and his poet parents Armena and Izzy possibly still live in New York.
Points of Interest
- Havana (Capital)
- Santiago de Cuba
- Trinidad Bayamo
- Valley de los Ingenios
- Alejandrode Hunboldt National Park
- Old Havana
- Cientuegos Desembarco del Granma National Park
- Bay of Pigs
- Camp Matanzaz
- Guantanamo Bay and its U.S. Air Force base, including a S.H.I.E.L.D. facility
- List of known past and present Cubans
- Lazaro Rivera
- General Luis Diosvil
- Rory Valdez
- Damocles "the Saint" Rivas (formerly MODOK)
- Arturo Guttierez
- Luisa Prohias
- Cuban Government
- Humans for Genetic Equality
- Hope (Esperanza Ling)
- Scarecrow (Ebenezer Laughton) (Exiles from the USA to Cuba for a time)
Former Guantanamo captives
Deceased or defunct
- Crusher (Caldwell Rozza)
- Evangelina Rivera
- Sentinels of the Cuban Sentinel program.
- Manuel Rivas
- Umberto Safilios
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Appearances of Cuba
- Minor Appearances of Cuba
- Media Cuba was Mentioned in
- Location Gallery: Cuba
- Images related to Cuba
- Marvel Staff members who were born in Cuba
Links and References
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 1.33 1.34 1.35 1.36 1.37 1.38 1.39 1.40 1.41 1.42 1.43 1.44 1.45 1.46 1.47 1.48 1.49 1.50 1.51 1.52 1.53 1.54 1.55 1.56 1.57 1.58 1.59 1.60 1.61 1.62 1.63 1.64 Marvel Atlas #2
- ↑ Marvel Mystery Comics #10
- ↑ Sub-Mariner Comics #1
- ↑ Sub-Mariner Comics #16
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 District X #5
- ↑ Wolverine Vol 2 #49
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Tales of Suspense #91
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 District X #2
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Mystique #3-6
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Tales of Suspense #51
- ↑ As far, it is now unknown if Raoul Castro has taken the rule as in Earth-1218
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Hercules: Heart of Chaos #2
- ↑ Black Panther Vol 4 #3
- ↑ Black Panther Vol 4 #18
- ↑ Mutopia X #5
- ↑ Wolverine Vol 2 #19-23
- ↑ Web of Spider-Man Annual #4
- ↑ Deadpool: Pulp #4
- ↑ Ultimate Fantastic Four #28
- ↑ Ultimate X-Men #28
- ↑ Captain America Vol 4 #25