Appearing in "This World Enslaved!"Edit
- Fantastic Four
- United States of America
- Silver Surfer's Surfboard
- Galactus' Ship
Synopsis for "This World Enslaved!"Edit
With Galactus on Earth, Reed Richards of the Fantastic Four has taken control of his ship in Earth's orbit, threatening to destroy it so long as Galactus refuses to leave the planet. Galactus calls Reed's bluff, pointing out that while Reed will strand Galactus while sacrificing his life to destroy the ship, Galactus in turn would turn his attentions to his loved one and slay them before consuming the planet Earth and then die knowing that he has completely obliterated everything Richards cares for. After hearing this, the Silver Surfer finally acquiesce to the orders of Galactus. However, the rest of the Fantastic Four protest this move, telling the Surfer to not allow himself to be enslaved again. Galactus then agrees to give them 24 hours to come up with an agreeable solution so that the Earth is spared and Galactus gets fed.
However as deliberations are going on, General Ross and an army of soldiers tries to attack Galactus. The world devourer reacts in kind by tossing train cars at the soldiers, sending them scattering. When they then fire missiles at Galactus, he uses his powers to send them melting into the nearby water.
Meanwhile, at the Baxter Building headquarters of the Fantastic Four, Sue returns home to find a call coming in from the President of the Untied States. The Commander-in-Chief and the Vice President both demand that the Fantastic Four turn the Silver Surfer over to Galactus so the threat to Earth will resolve itself. Sue tells them that there are other alternatives, when Reed patches in and assures the President that he has a plan to resolve the current crisis. When the President balks at this, Reed cuts the transmission and gets back to work.
Soon Reed lands the ship Galactus arrived in and relinquishes it to the world devourer. Thinking that he has won, Galactus leaves Earth in his ship, ordering the Silver Surfer to follow after him. When the Surfer tries to follow after his former master, Reed tries to tell him to stay. When the Surfer refuses to listen, Mister Fantastic tries to physically subdue him. The Surfer tires to flee, pushing Reed's stretching abilities to their limit. General Ross orders Richards to stand down, and one of his soldiers hastily fires a shot, hitting Reed with the bullet intended for the Silver Surfer. The Human Torch tries to get his leader from the Silver Surfer, while the Thing clashes with the soldiers for shooting his best friend. When the military brings out their heavy guns, the Torch is forced to break off his clash with the Surfer to help Ben out. The Surfer then speeds off to a tranquil location and then uses his Power Cosmic to heal Reed, saving his life in the nick of time.
Reed manages to convince the Silver Surfer that Galactus has been dealt with. The pair then fly to Whisper Hill where he secures the aid of Agatha Harkness. The pair then return to New York City where the Thing and Torch continue to battle the military. When they arrive at the scene, they are joined by the asteral projection of Agatha Harkness. She then uses her sorcery to mentally link Reed with the President and explain to him that the threat of Galactus is over. Believing the leader of the Fantastic Four, the President then calls his soldiers off. Then, having Agatha link him with all the minds on Earth, Reed explains that the he managed to dispel the threat of Galactus by tampering with the controls of his ship so that it transported him into the Negative Zone. There, Reed explains, Galactus will no longer be a threat to Earth, and have access to all the worlds he could ever want to consume. With the threat over, the people of New York celebrate the Fantastic Four. The Surfer soon departs, more exasperated than ever about the fickle nature of human beings.
- General Ross has been dealing on the Galactus crisis since it began in Fantastic Four #120. He goes back to hunting the Hulk, appearing next in Incredible Hulk #148.
- The appearance of Richard Nixon as President of the United States and Spiro Agnew as the Vice President should be considered topical references per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616. Nixon specifies that it is an election year. This story was published during the 1972 US Presidential Election. On November 2, 1972, Richard Nixon was re-elected as President of the United States for a second term. This fact should also be considered a topical reference.
- Agatha Harkness appears her following her last appearance in Fantastic Four #120 wherein she warned the Fantastic Four of the impending danger caused by Galactus. She is next seen in Fantastic Four #127, hosting Reed and Sue who have come to pick up Franklin.
- Franklin is briefly seen here, his last appearance was in Fantastic Four #117 when the Fantastic Four brought him to Whisper Hill to be cared for by Agatha Harkness. He appears again in Fantastic Four #127 still in the witch's care.
- Although banished to the Negative Zone, Galactus eventually returned to the positive matter universe in Thor #225-228 wherein he obtains a new herald Firelord and gains the assistance of Thor to battle Ego the Living Planet.
- After his departure here, the Silver Surfer is next seen in Defenders #2-3 where his fellow Defenders embark on a failed quest to free the Silver Surfer from the exile imposed on him since Fantastic Four #50. The Surfer does not get free until many years later in Silver Surfer Vol 3 #1.
- This issue features a letters page, Fantastic Four Fan Page. Letters are published from David McDonnell, Randy Oliver, Steve Russell, and W.P. Mills.
- As seen on page one, this issue is Job#941-Z.
- Galactus! The Silver Surfer! The fabulous F.F.! All cavorting and clashing in perhaps the greatest battle-issue yet! A feast for the mind and eye!
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Fantastic Four Vol 1 123 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Fantastic Four series
- Images from Fantastic Four Vol 1 123
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|