No stranger to experimenting on human life, particularly that of mutants, the nefarious Mr. Sinister prepared a fail safe for if he should ever be killed - he created a virus containing his own DNA (and thus his own immensely powerful telepathic powers) to be injected into a host. His chosen host was Claudine Renko, a previously unknown woman and one of his test subjects.
When Essex apparently perished during Messiah Complex, the virus was automatically activated within Claudine. Rather than dying, mutating or becoming possessed, Claudine's body instead became a perfect genetic clone of Essex, albeit as a female. With this transformation Claudine also inherited her "father's" telepathy and in due course, wicked attitude towards innocent life.
Taking the name Miss Sinister she became a new villain to foil the X-Men, surfacing alongside Sebastian Shaw. In a plot to manipulate Daken into killing Wolverine, Claudine used her powers to invade and manipulate Daken's mind and the plan nearly worked were it not for Wolverine's intervention. Outraged at having been used yet again Daken stabbed her in the chest, seemingly killing her.
However Claudine survived and appeared again in the the aftermath of Second Coming, this time targeting Wolverine's other child X-23, who had left Utopia on a journey of self-discovery. X-23, flanked by Gambit, encountered a young girl named Alice and witnessed her being murdered though the next day Alice appeared to them somehow alive.
Encouraging them to follow her to a peculiar desert laboratory, Alice introduced them to her employer/owner/adoptive mother: Claudine. Revealing herself openly to X-23, Claudine explained that Alice is also a clone, fourth in a series of five created by Essex as another experiment alongside several other children that live in the complex.
She then expanded upon her own origins, stating that the process of becoming what she is left her with vague, but invasive memories of Essex's life and that as a malignant presence within her mind, he is slowly killing her as a means of self-resurrection, he even managed to manifest briefly before being re-absorbed back into her.
Claudine then incapacitated Gambit and strapped X-23 to a peculiar chair, stating her aim to switch their bodies - thus inheriting Laura's healing factor, something she'd wanted after her stabbing, and thereby freeing herself of Essex.
The plan backfired when Essex in fact controls Laura's body and used her to mortally wound Claudine again. Laura managed to overcome Essex's presence in her mind, expelling it through force of will. Laura, Alice and Gambit managed to escape the laboratory as it collapsed and arrange for the children to be given new homes before setting off on their journey again.
Left behind in the wreckage, Claudine was still alive, although just barely, and was being watched over by the fifth Alice Clone - the new host of Essex.
Cellular Shapeshifting: ability to control every molecule of her body, allowing her to assume the form of any one she wishes. She has the potential to reduce herself into a semi-liquid state.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: Miss Sinister is able to rapidly regenerate damaged or destroyed tissue with much greater speed and efficiency than an ordinary human. She can fully heal from injuries that result in massive tissue damage or loss such as multiple gunshot wounds, slashes, puncture wounds, broken bones, and severe burns within a matter of moments. However there are limits to the extent of her healing abilities, as she was left severely weakened by the wounds Daken inflicted.
Superhuman Stamina: Miss Sinister's muscles produce considerably less fatigue toxins than the muscles of ordinary humans. She can exert herself at peak capacity several hours before fatigue begins to affect her.
Superhuman Strength: She possesses superhuman strength, which may be a product of her shapeshifting abilities. Sinister is able to press lift within 2 to 10 ton range.
Superhuman Reflexes: Miss Sinister's reflexes are enhanced to levels that are beyond the human body's natural limits.
Telepathy: She can read minds and project her own thoughts into the minds of others within a radius of 900 miles (on Earth).  With extreme effort she can greatly extend that radius.
- Mental Paralysis: ability to induce temporary mental or physical paralysis.
- Astral Projection: she can project her form as if she were a ghost she can do it nocturnally
- Mind Control: capable of controlling the minds of others but only one at a time and if the target is in her physical presence.
- Dilate Power: ability to mentally paralyze a foe she's touching and the ability to psionically "turn off" the superpowers of any mutant.
Telekinesis: possesses telekinetic abilities enabling her to psionically levitate and manipulate living beings, inanimate objects, and to some extent energy, she can “lift” as much as 10 tons of weight and possibly more and enable her “fly” at great speeds.
- Concussive Blasts: can fire blasts of concussive force from her hands or from the diamond-shaped scarlet mark on her forehead.
Immortality (possibly formerly): but powers are not immune to the non-lethal effects of aging, including increasingly wrinkled skin and immobility. It is unclear if she still possesses this ability.
While Essex was inhabiting Claudine's mind, his consciousness was slowly overwriting her own, and would eventually have done so permanently. The process was accelerated by wounds she received during her encounter with Daken, and Essex was briefly able to manifest himself entirely when she was attacked by Laura.
- 12 Appearances of Claudine Renko (Earth-616)
- Minor Appearances of Claudine Renko (Earth-616)
- Media Claudine Renko (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 7 Images featuring Claudine Renko (Earth-616)
- 1 Quotations by or about Claudine Renko (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Claudine Renko (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|