Quotes by Benjamin Parker (Earth-616)
- Let it end, Peter. Sometimes death is a blessing in disguise. Like mine. my death is one of the greatest gifts the universe ever gave you.
- With great power, there must also come great responsibility
- You can't always win--that's the way life works. Sometimes, it doesn't matter how hard you try, you lose anyway. Listen, killer: Life is a very long season. Some you win, some you lose...And it's good to lose once in a while. It makes the winning all the sweeter. Maybe next year, okay? We'll come again and see if they win.
- No matter how much we try to protect him, those things are gonna happen. But that's okay, and I'll tell you why: each time it happens, Peter'll toughen up some. Get stronger. Make sense?
- You were always going to be someone like Spider-Man, with or without your powers. That's the way you were headed. It was never for me. Not really. It was always for your parents.
Ben Parker has one of the most well known quotes in comic history.
This is the often-quoted Spider-Man theme. It is widely attributed to Uncle Ben. However, this was not initially true. In Amazing Fantasy #15, the phrase appears in a narrative caption in the comic's last panel, not as spoken dialogue. In fact, Ben has only two lines in the entire comic.
However, later stories and flashbacks that took place when Ben was still alive retroactively made the phrase one of Ben's many homilies he would lecture Peter with. Recent reinterpretations of Spider-Man, such as the Spider-Man movie and the Ultimate Spider-Man comic, depict Ben as using this phrase while he is still alive.