Cassandra Webb was born and raised in Salem, Oregon. She was born blind and suffered from a neurological condition known as myasthenia gravis. This however had a side effect: she developed powerful psychic abilities and used them to become a medium.
When girlfriend Debra Whitman showed Peter Parker an advertisement for the psychic "Madame Web", he dismissed her as a fraud. But when a (very) hostile takeover of the Daily Globe left Spidey with only Madame Web as a possible clue, he paid her a visit personally. Using her psychic abilities, she gave Spider-Man enough clues to lead him to the criminals. Though Spider-Man was still skeptical of her abilities, they were erased when Madame Web called him at his Chelsea Street apartment with knowledge of his identity.
Spider-Man contacted Madame Web when he learned of two people attempting an assassination. While trying to stop them during a marathon she contacted him on a pay phone and told him there were two assassins by a water tower. Their target was politician Barney Wicker, presiding at the Finish Line. Spidey stopped the assassins by tipping the water tower's roof onto them.
Months later, Black Tom Cassidy sought to use her abilities, and sent the Juggernaut to retrieve her. Thanks to her abilities she knew he was coming and contacted Spidey to help stop the Juggernaut. Despite his best efforts, the Juggernaut succeeded in reaching Madame Web. When he lifted her up, he unknowingly removed from her elaborate life-support system that had been keeping her alive. Finding her thus useless, Juggernaut dropped her and left. Madame Web, barely alive, was taken to the hospital. While Spider-Man visited her in the hospital, he discovered that the experience had left her with amnesia.
Still in hospital and with memory loss she thanked Spider-Man for helping her. She also helped him with a clue to find Hobgoblin when he was blackmailing various companies when she asked him to turn the radio where they heard a news report. But after he left it was unknown if she truly had lost her memory.
Gathering of Five
Madame Web attended the ceremony known as the Gathering of Five, a ritual wherein five people bring together five arcane relics. These relics, when brought together, allow the five who posses them to be blessed or cursed with either power, knowledge, immortality, insanity, or death. The catch, however, was that these powers didn't seem what they were at first: what first seemed like madness was in fact knowledge, what seemed like power was madness, and death seemed like immortality. Madame Web received "immortality", Norman Osborn, received "Insanity", Morris Maxwell received "Knowledge", Gregory Herd received "Death", and Mattie Franklin was granted the gift of power.
Looking much younger, a rejuvenated Madame Web called upon Jessica Drew and Julia Carpenter, the first two Spider-Women, along with Mattie Franklin, who had also taken part in the Gathering of the Five ritual, to aid her in subduing her granddaughter Charlotte WitterCharlotte Witter, who had become a third Spider-Woman at the hands of Doctor Octopus.
Charlotte was defeated, but later siphoned Madame Web's telepathy, re-aging her in the process. With the help of Spider-Man and Franklin, Madame Web determined how to drain Charlotte's power, leaving Witter unconscious in a dormant state. Madame Web, now youthful again, performed psychic surgery to sever her link to Charlotte and removed Charlotte and Mattie's memories of Spider-Man's identity. Madame Web continued to assist Mattie during the rest of her time as Spider-Woman. The Spider-Women team eventually disbanded. Madame Web has since appeared elderly again, however she presumably has retained her immortality.
Jessica Jones met with Madame Web. She told her about the origin of Mattie Franklin, whom Jessica had recently had a run in with. Web explained that she had used her psychic abilities to help Mattie, but that she had lost contact with her, but as she talked with Jessica, she claimed to see Mattie again in a vision in which Jessica and Mattie fought to the death. As Jessica attempted to understand Web's prognostications, the old woman experienced a vision of Jessica's own tortured past. Jessica became enraged at the intrusion into her mind, and stormed out.
She helped Spider-Man investigate a strange grouping of animal themed villains. She revealed that it was all part of a plan by Stegron to re-make New York into a prehistoric paradise with the help of a crystal from the arctic. Working together they stopped his plans.  She has also helped Peter speak with a comatose Aunt May after she was shot by one of the Kingpin's assassins.
Some time later, Madame Web was captured by the Kravinoff family to help them to defeat Spider-Man and resurrect Kraven. With her involuntary help, Sasha, Ana and Alyosha Kravinoff killed Mattie Franklin in order to resurrect Vladimir Kravinoff, the Grim Hunter). The hunters then killed Kaine and used his blood to bring Kraven back to life, but because the ritual wasn't made with the blood of the true Parker, Kraven wouldn't die except if Spider-Man kills him. Angry because this failure, Sasha cut Madame Web's throat. In the last moment of her life, Cassandra transferred her powers to Julia Carpenter (the second Spider-Woman), leaving her the mantle of Madame Web.
|Power Grid |
- Madame Web possesses psychic abilities including telepathy, clairvoyance, and prescience. She can also perform astral projection and appear to others in spirit form.
- Telepathy: ability to read minds and project thoughts.
- Astral Projection: ability to project her consciousness outside her body and travel
- Psychic Surgery: ability to perform psychic surgery on others minds
- Mind Alteration: generally affect the minds of those around her.
- Clairvoyance: sensitivity to psychic energies in her environment allows her to see her immediate area and events taking place far away.
- Prescience: ability to perceive aspects of the future
- Immortality: After the Gathering of Five ceremony, she apparently has the gift of immortality.
Physically Weak, originally she was blind, and was dependent on her life support system for survival.
- Paralysis: Madame Web is an invalid lacking most function in her limbs. Since the Gathering of the Five, her health had greatly improved and confined to a special chair. However her health appears to have declined again, as she has returned to her more elaborate chair.
- Blind: Madame Web is visually impaired she cannot see through her eyes. She is able to compensate for this by using her psychic powers. 
- Madame Web's Wheelchair: formerly was resilient on a life-support system designed by her late husband.
- Madame Web is featured in Deadpool Roasts the Marvel Universe.
- 62 Appearances of Cassandra Webb (Earth-616)
- Media Cassandra Webb (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 9 Images featuring Cassandra Webb (Earth-616)
- 1 Quotations by or about Cassandra Webb (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Cassandra Webb (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Master Edition #4
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man #210
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man #216
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man #229-230
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man #239
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man #440-441
- ↑ Spider-Man #96
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man Vol 2 #6
- ↑ Spider-Woman Vol 3 #1
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man Vol 2 #14
- ↑ Spider-Woman Vol 3 #2-14
- ↑ Spider-Woman Vol 3 #15
- ↑ Alias #17
- ↑ Sensational Spider-Man Vol 2 #25-27
- ↑ Sensational Spider-Man Vol 2 #29-32
- ↑ Sensational Spider-Man Vol 2 #38-39
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man #600-630
- ↑ Spider-Man: Grim Hunt - The Kraven Saga #1
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man #634-636
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man #637
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man #441
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol 4 #12
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #6
- ↑ Deadpool Vol 3 #45
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z hardcover Vol. 6
|Like this? Let us know!|