- The Winter Soldier went off the grid yesterday. Looks like he's about to start a fire, and we need to stop that.
- -- Falcon
Appearing in "The Death of the Dream Part 3"Edit
- Captain America (Steve Rogers) (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Winter Soldier (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Doctor Faustus (Behind the scenes)
- Soviet Union (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Washington, D.C.
- Smithsonian Institute
- New York City, New York State
Synopsis for "The Death of the Dream Part 3"Edit
Tony Stark issues a press statement with regards to the late Captain America. He announces that Cap's costume and shield will be placed on display at the National History Museum in Washington, and that there is no plan under way to replace Captain America.
The Winter Soldier watches the televised broadcast, and knows full well that the United States government would never allow Captain America's shield to be placed inside of a museum. Just to be sure however, he dresses in civilian attire and visits the Captain America wing at the museum. Despite tightened security, the Winter Soldier knows that the shield on display is merely a replica. He intends on finding the true shield and stealing it away from Stark and his colleagues at S.H.I.E.L.D.
Back in New York, Sharon Carter is overwhelmed with grief over the part she played in the assassination of Cap. As she contemplates taking her own life, she sees images of Doctor Faustus tormenting her in the bathroom mirror. Sharon smashes the mirror just as the Falcon arrives to check up on her.
The Falcon tells Sharon that the Winter Soldier has gone off the grid, and that he is looking to break into S.H.I.E.L.D. to steal Cap's shield. He worries that he may even attempt to kill Tony Stark. Sharon suits up, and together they leave to track down the Soldier.
Back at S.H.I.E.L.D., Tony and a technician analyze the remains of a Nick Fury Life-Model Decoy. The LMD had compromised S.H.I.E.L.D.'s databanks and erased it's own files before S.H.I.E.L.D. operatives were able to stop it. Tony decides that it's time to move Cap's shield out of the building.
The Winter Soldier waits across the street until the S.H.I.E.L.D. decoys leave the building. Another car exits the garage, and the Soldier knows that this is his true target. He attacks the vehicle, then discovers that the agent placed in charge of guarding the shield is the Black Widow.
The Black Widow recognizes the Winter Soldier and is shocked to see that he is still active. The Widow and the Soldier once shared a romance with each other back in the days when they were both tools of the Soviet Union under Colonel Karpov. Now, the two are forced to fight one another. The Winter Soldier gets the upper hand, and knocks Natasha out. He grabs the shield and disappears.
Later, the Black Widow returns to S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters. She tells Tony Stark what transpired and warns him that the Winter Soldier may come after him.
- Part of the Death of Captain America event.
- This issue is divided into five chapters:
- Part I: White Lies
- Part II: Falling Off the Grid
- Part III: Compromised Assets
- Part IV: Old Friends
- Part V: Buried in the Past
- Some of the items on display at the National History museum include: a copy of an issue of Captain America Comics, a maquette display of the Avengers sculpted in the likeness of the cover to Avengers (Volume 1) #4, and a poster of the old Captain America movie serial.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|