Appearing in "Out of Time: Part 1"Edit
- A.I.D. (First appearance)
- Aleksander Lukin (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Red Skull (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Winter Soldier (First appearance as Winter Soldier)
Synopsis for "Out of Time: Part 1"Edit
Five Years Ago:
The Red Skull meets with former KGB agent Aleksander Lukin near the Kazakhstan border. Lukin's men have just captured the former hero of Soviet Russia, the Red Guardian. Lukin fires a bullet into the Guardian's skull killing him. After business is handled, Lukin speaks to the Skull about the Cosmic Cube. He knows the Skull is after it, and is willing to pay any price to acquire it from him. The Red Skull confesses that he is searching for it, but refuses to sell it at any price.
After years of searching, the Red Skull has finally cobbled together a Cosmic Cube – culled from the fragmented pieces of other cubes. But he needs a massive energy charge by which to empower it. He intends on destroying three major metropolitan cities in an effort to generate the energy needed to power the cube.
Meanwhile, Sharon Carter visits Steve Rogers. She is concerned because Steve has become so reckless since the Avengers disbanded. She calls to mind a recent incident where Steve took great risks to stop a train full of terrorists from detonating a dirty bomb in Coney Island. Steve assures her that he is fine aside from being plagued by strange dreams as of late (Steve has been dreaming about his wartime days with Bucky). Sharon walks Steve back to his new private apartment in Brooklyn.
Later, the Red Skull is standing in high-rise apartment. He has been monitoring Rogers' actions and knows of his new living quarters. The Red Skull receives a phone call from General Lukin. Lukin knows that the Skull now has a Cosmic Cube and again offers to buy it from him. Like before, the Skull refuses. Suddenly, a cybernetic assassin (hired by Lukin) breaks into the Red Skull's penthouse and shoots him through the chest, killing him. The assassin steals the Cosmic Cube and brings it to Lukin.
- This issue is reprinted in the Captain America: Winter Soldier trade paperback.
- This series follows the "Avengers Disassembled" storyline.
- The assassin who shoots the Red Skull will later be revealed as the Winter Soldier. The Winter Soldier is in fact James Buchanan "Bucky" Barnes. This is Bucky's first appearance as the Winter Soldier.
- This issue is the first appearance of the A.I.M. subsect known as Advanced Ideas in Destruction (A.I.D.).
- Nick Fury appears on the cover of this issue, but does not actually appear in the story.
- The identity of the man posing as Red Guardian in this issue is uncertain.
- Omega Red makes a cameo appearance in flashback.
- Captain America image gallery
- Captain America appearances list
- Captain America quotes page
- Red Skull image gallery
- Red Skull appearances list
- Winter Soldier appearances list
- Captain America Comics
- Captain America (Volume 1)
- Captain America (Volume 2)
- Captain America (Volume 3)
- Captain America (Volume 4)
- Captain America (Volume 5)
- Captain America and the Falcon
Links and ReferencesEdit
- Captain America article at Wikipedia
- Captain America profile at Toonopedia
- Captain America profile at the Marvel Directory
- Captain America profile at the Marvel Universe
- Captain America Fan Site
- Captain America (Volume 5) series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Alexander Lukin and the Winter Soldier article at Wikipedia
|Like this? Let us know!|