- You boys are getting old, that's all! World War II was a long time ago!
Appearing in "Facades!"Edit
- Hallucinations of
Synopsis for "Facades!"Edit
Disgraced former NYPD Sergeant and crime boss, Brian Muldoon (last seen in Captain America #159), has hired the mysterious Manipulator to kill Captain America. Rather than a traditional frontal assault, the Manipulator puts Cap through a series of hallucinations to cause him to have a mental breakdown. After several incidents, Cap appears to have one when he sees his deceased girlfriend Sharon Carter again. As Cap drops down on both knees, Muldoon approaches him with a pistol to shoot him in the back of the head.
However, Cap had been faking his breakdown to lure his true attacker into the midst. Although Muldoon does fire a shot, he is quickly defeated. Cap then encounters the Manipulator, who says his intent was not to kill Cap, but study the intense fanatical hatred of Brian Muldoon. Cap points out the fact that Muldoon's shot had careened off the side of the Manipulator's face, revealing that he is, in fact, an android. This revelation is a shock to the Manipulator and he shuts down and falls on his face.
- The Manipulator was first and last seen in Avengers #178. He is later determined to be a creation of Machinesmith in Captain America #249
- Brian Muldoon was last seen in Captain America #159. Muldoon was created by John Romita and was based upon the physical characteristics of Cap co-creator Jack Kirby. Muldoon was a recurring character in this title from Captain America #139 to Captain America #159.
- This issue contains the letters page, "Letters to the Living Legend": Letters are published from: Roger Schoolcraft, Matt Kaufman, and David C. Zimmerman.
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
- The Grand Comics Database: Captain America #242 
|Like this? Let us know!|