- I wore this vest on the day I founded the community of ungrateful monstrosities. It seems only fitting I wear it -- when I destroy them.
- -- Callisto src
When Callisto was young and beautiful, her life seemed so perfect, so enviable. But catastrophe struck her, she was blinded in the right eye and leaving her horribly disfigured. Forced to hold up a mirror to her new reality, Callisto realized that society had little use for a beautiful woman who was beautiful no more.
Scared and alone, she rebelled against society and decided to go underground where it was safe, and where she could escape prying, peering eyes. She quickly made a huge abandoned military tunnel called "the Alley" built underneath Manhattan in the 1950s her home.
With help from the mutant-detecting Caliban, the devoted Sunder, and the treacherous Masque, she organized a community of mutant outcasts called the Morlocks. (Unknown to Callisto, the Morlocks were being manipulated by the extradimensional sadist called the Dark Beast, a twisted alternate version of Hank McCoy.)
In recent years, Callisto, apparently driven to irrationality by her responsibilities, abducted the winged Angel as a consort. Angel's X-Men teammates invaded the Alley but were captured as well. The team's leader, Storm, challenged Callisto to trial by combat, almost killing her and winning the mantle of Morlock leader. Initially hating Storm, Callisto, de facto leader in Storm’s absence, grew to respect the X-Men and their founder, Professor X, whose life she saved after a beating by anti-mutant protesters.
Callisto and her growing band of outcasts became the victims of a massacre, orchestrated by Mister Sinister and implemented by his team of Marauders. The few survivors, including Callisto, were treated by Moira MacTaggart on Muir Island, Scotland; in gratitude, Callisto appointed herself MacTaggart's bodyguard and assisted Cyclops against the mutant-hating Master Mold. However, she was captured by Masque, who had, via the young telepath Brain Cell, enslaved the remaining Morlocks. To taunt her, Masque restored Callisto's long-lost beauty, altered her memories, then freed her in New York to be hunted down. However, the X-Man Colossus protected Callisto, and Masque returned Callisto's scarred appearance before escaping.
When Masque was believed dead, the remaining Morlocks went mad and attacked Callisto, who sought the X-Men’s aid. However, Mikhail Rasputin, Colossus's brother, convinced Callisto to join him in leading the Morlocks to the Hill, a dimension of rapid time passage. There the survivors built a new society, but the younger generation escaped to Earth as the terrorist unit Gene Nation. Callisto again recruited the X-Men to stop her wayward charges, whom she later tried to rehabilitate in the Alley.
When the government anti-mutant persecution increased, Callisto and her protégé Marrow attacked official Henry Gyrich but were held off by Spider-Man, who in turn helped battle Prime Sentinels. Severely wounded, Callisto was cared for by Marrow, but the Dark Beast manipulated her into departing. She resurfaced as a mutant gladiator in the mysterious Arena, her body given tentacles by a surviving Masque. However, when Storm was pressed into Arena performance, Callisto joined Storm and her allies to topple Masque. At Storm's request, Callisto joined Professor X's efforts to rebuild the decimated nation Genosha; as a member of his informal inner circle, the Genoshan Excalibur, she has fought Trolls, the Weaponeers and other threats.
Still in Genosha, she was seen self-hurting, when found by Quicksilver who offered her the Terrigen Mists, stolen from the Inhumans, as a way to restore her powers. Callisto willingly accepted the offer and the Mist effectively restored all her previous abilities (minus her disfigurements and arm-tentacles), but without any control over them. Her new senses were so acute that even a drop of rain caused her tremendous pain.
She was taken to the Victoria Hospital on Mahé Island in the Seychelles by the newly repowered Hub, helping the Inhumans to find the trail of the mists, using intel provided by the Fantastic Four. Eventually her heightened senses wore off, leaving her powerless again.
She eventually returned to America and joined the terrorist group X-Cell, believing that the government was responsible for the M-Day. She attempted to warn them and other mutants not to accept Quicksilver's offer to re-power them by using the Terrigen Mists, but only managed to convince her fellow Morlock Marrow from not undergoing the Terrigenesis. When Layla Miller arrived with proof that Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch had caused M-Day, the pair of Morlocks battled Pietro and eventually fled through the sewers as X-Cell was falling apart.
Callisto relocated to the tunnels below Manhattan and minded her own business until teenage runaways started showing up in the subways. She decided to bring them in with her and give them a home with her. Thinking that recent runaway Angie was kidnapped, Storm went locking for her to the sewers. Callisto confronted her and Storm forced her and the runaways to their home where she learned the truth. Storm helped them clean the mess she made, charged their back-up batteries and told her that Nightcrawler would deliver a water purification unit. Before leaving, Storm told Callisto that despite their history the kids knew they were at home. Callisto and Angie later saw the global aurora Storm made as a tribute to the recently deceased Wolverine while getting groceries.
Due to the appearance of the race-threatening phenomenon of the M-Pox, the amount of mutants living underground increased significantly. In addition to the mutants, Callisto also welcomed humans who were scared of the global landscape. Working together as the embodiment of Charles Xavier's dream of human and mutant co-existence, this group of mutants and humans lived together as the New Morlocks.
|Power Grid |
Callisto is a natural-born leader, huntress, and fighter skilled in virtually every form of hand-to-hand combat.
Callisto possesses the normal level strength for a woman of her height, weight and build, who engages in regular exercise.
She frequently employs throwing knives.
- The name "Callisto" is Greek in origin and appears in Greek mythology". "Callisto" or "Kallisto" was the name of a daughter of Lycaon, king of Arcadia. She was a companion of the goddess Artemis and had taken an oath of virginity. Zeus decided to seduce the girl. He assumed the form of Artemis and appeared to Callisto as her beloved goddess, luring her into his embrace. The erotic encounter left her pregnant. When Artemis noticed that her follower was pregnant, she concluded that she had broken her vow and decided to punish her. She transformed Callisto into a she-bear. Callisto eventually gave birth to Arcas, eponymous ancestor of the Arcadians. When the bear was hunted and killed, though there are different versions about the identity of the hunter, Zeus took pity on his lover. He transformed her into the constellation Ursa Major.
- The etymology of Callisto/Kallisto is somewhat uncertain. It may be a variant of the term "Kalliste" (most beautiful") and derive from kállos ("beauty"). The related term "kalós" means both "good" and "beautiful", due to an ancient belief that these qualities go together. The antonym "kakós" means "bad", "ugly" and "evil".
- 130 Appearances of Callisto (Earth-616)
- 1 Minor Appearances of Callisto (Earth-616)
- Media Callisto (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 30 Images featuring Callisto (Earth-616)
- 11 Quotations by or about Callisto (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Callisto (Earth-616)
- Callisto's origin on the Marvel Directory
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 X-Factor Vol 3 #18
- ↑ Excalibur Vol 3 #7
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #169-170
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #210-213
- ↑ New Avengers #18
- ↑ Son of M #4
- ↑ Son of M #5-#6
- ↑ X-Factor Vol 3 #20
- ↑ Storm Vol 3 #2
- ↑ Storm Vol 3 #4
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men Vol 4 #7
- ↑ X-Men: Gold Vol 2 #24
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #2
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z hardcover Vol. 2
|Like this? Let us know!|