Bensaylum is the Earth-311 version of Atlantis ruled and co-ruled by Numenor and his cousin Rita respectfully. The ancient and highly advanced civilization was located in a deep trench in the middle of the Atlantic where the ocean is kept suspended from overwhelming the city by Numenor's trident. Furthermore, any ship that ventures near the edge of Bensaylum will become mired in thick fog. The edge of Bensaylum was also guarded by a sea monster that made quick work of any ship not deterred by the fog. The final concern for any ships that managed to avoid both these dangers was the steep drop-off itself.
Bensaylum was then destroyed when Numenor was killed by Count Von Doom and his blood spilled on the trident, ending breaking the enchantment it cast on the city and causing it to be consumed by the returning ocean.
- Because Bensaylum was not underwater, its inhabitants were portrayed as basically human (although they retain the pointed ears).
- Bensaylum is named after Bensalem from Sir Francis Bacon's utopian novel New Atlantis. In Marvel 1602: Fantastick Four William Shakespeare offhandedly called Bensaylem "New Atlantis" and had plan on telling his experience to Francis Bacon, suggesting the city is what inspired Bacon to wrote the said novel.
- Bensaylum's effect on the ocean around it, as well as its defense methods, are based on the standard pop culture interpretation of the medieval view of the shape of the Earth; as a flat plane where the ocean poured off the edges and would take any ships the drew near with it. This 'edge of the Earth' was also, according to this story, covered in thick fog and home to horrendous sea monsters (such in the phrase "here there be monsters").
- Appearances of Bensaylum
- Media Bensaylum was Mentioned in
- Location Gallery: Bensaylum
- Images related to Bensaylum
- Marvel Staff members who were born in Bensaylum
Links and References