When Axel Asher was 7-years-old, he wandered into his parent's bedroom, and found his younger sister playing with the gun of their father. He scolded her and tried to grab away the gun. The gun was loaded and unleashed a shot at his leg. He looked down at the leg of his pants and saw it soaked in blood, though the gravity of his situation eluded him. He glared at his sister for having gotten him into trouble, and she glared at him for taking away her "toy". 
Years later, the only outward reminder of his gunshot wound is Axel's slight limp. But he still carries the memory with him, along with the anger and the pain. It was the most traumatic experience of his life, until the The Brothers started appearing in his consciousness. Their enmity of these being made his sibling enmity with his sister pale in comparison. 
Axel Asher first became aware of his extraordinary powers when the two cosmic entities called "The Brothers", who represent the DC Universe and Marvel Universe, became aware of each other (as a result of the previous "crossover" events) and hurled their respective heroes into conflict with each other's.
Axel was just a normal teenager living in New York who came across an old bum in an alley, who protected what seemed to be a cardboard box but was actually a portal between the universes. He also revealed that Axel was next in line to bear the powers and responsibilities of being "The Access", the person in charge of preventing the universes from merging into one. This happens because they were originally one universe that split in two when The Brothers first fought; certain "fragments" of the original universe remained. The "box" was one of them- Access was another.
Access helped prevent Dr. Strangefate from re-merging the two universes; in the second, he discovered that the "old bum" was actually his own future self, and that a variant version of himself had joined forces with Darkseid. He also discovered his powers were greater than he believed, and he absorbed his evil self within himself and helped the heroes of both universes defeat Darkseid's scheme.Access is now a native of both universes and his duty is to keep them separate. If they start to overlap, the universes will merge into the Amalgam Universe again. Access must move from one universe to the other keeping people from crossing over. If he stays in one place too long, he can cause spontaneous crossovers to occur. Access usually works out situations like this without anyone noticing that he is involved. (This explains how the subsequent crossovers occur. Adventures where heroes appear on a 'shared Earth' are believed to be dimensional fluxes where the two universe have begun to merge again. It has also been explained that once Access has restored the timelines, the participants forget about the crossover.)
At the height of the Brothers' battle, the universes were combined into a single Amalgam Universe by The Spectre and the Living Tribunal to delay their fight. Access used shards of each universe hidden inside Batman and Captain America to separate and restore both universes. Aided by Batman and Captain America who, in many ways, were the Brothers in miniature Access helped stop the fight between The Brothers, saving the two universes from destruction.
Access has the ability to create inter-dimensional gateways between the two universes. He can use these gateways to teleport himself as well as summon others to him. He also has the ability to travel in time when crossing universes. He can feel the presence of anything from one universe in the other. In addition, Access has recently learned that he can create an "amalgamation" of two people he touches from each universe.
Cosmic Awareness: Access is able to sense the presence of beings and objects in the universes that are somehow of importance to him for whatever reason.
Teleportation: Access is able to teleport at will, and can use this ability in many ways, including:
- Can teleport from the Marvel Universe to the DC Universe and vice versa
- Able to travel through time
- Can teleport up to 8 people along with him
Reality Manipulation: Access can manipulate reality on a cosmic scale, which allows him to repair universes that have combined themselves by moving bits and pieces of each universe around. His presence alone can cause dimensional crossovers to occur.
- Amalgamation: Access can combine two people from opposite universes together to share their powers. He is also able to change them back to their normal states.
He can't stay in one place too long because that can cause spontaneous crossovers to occur.
- Access is a fictional character owned by both DC Comics and Marvel Comics. He was intended both as a way to explain the events of the story as well as a means to enable more such crossovers in the future.
- Access appeared in two follow-up miniseries, "DC/Marvel: All Access" and "Unlimited Access".
- In the Avengers/JLA crossover, no mention is made of Access, who should logically have been involved. On the other hand, the events of JLA/Avengers have been referenced by DC comics (see Crime Syndicate); this may imply that the Access stories are no longer considered to have been part of either company's continuity. Though Access has been referenced in the Green Lantern, among other older comics. So both maybe considered canon.
- Access is briefly mentioned in a Superman/Fantastic Four crossover. When Superman receives a (false) holographic message he thinks is from his father Jor-El, stating that a being from another universe, named Galactus was the one who destroyed Krypton, he flies off uttering the phrase "I need expert help to find him. I must find Access."
- Access is mentioned again in the crossover Superman/Silver Surfer: POP! by the Impossible Man.
- Access' first appearance was foreshadowed in the 1995 DC/Marvel comic Green Lantern/Silver Surfer: Unholy Alliances. The final frames of the comic show an alleyway in New York where a large cardboard box is beginning to emit powerful beams of energy.
- Marvel vs DC #1 is a special crossover between the two companies.
- DC vs. Marvel / Marvel vs. DC #1-4
- Doctor Strangefate #1
- DC/Marvel: All Access #1-4
- Green Lantern #87
- Unlimited Access #1-4
- 11 Appearances of Axel Asher (Earth-616)
- Media Axel Asher (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 17 Images featuring Axel Asher (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Axel Asher (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Axel Asher (Earth-616)
- All Access
- Unlimited Access
- DC Versus Marvel
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original article was at Access (comics). The list of authors can be seen in the (comics)&action=history page history. As with Marvel Universe, the text of Wikipedia:Wikipedia is available under the Wikipedia:GNU Free Documentation License.|