Appearing in "-- They First Make Mad!"Edit
- Rick Jones
- Black Panther (T'Challa) (Appears on a Computer Screen, TV or Hologram Only)
- Ant-Man (Henry Pym) (Appears on a Computer Screen, TV or Hologram Only)
- Skrulls (Only in flashback)
- Edwin Jarvis
- Rudolfo and his Travelling Carnival (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Kevin O'Brien (Only in flashback)
- Avengers Mansion
- Wakanda (Appears on a Computer Screen, TV or Hologram Only)
- Europe (Only in flashback)
- Captain America's Shield
- Captain America's Uniform
- Iron Man Armor MK IV
- Guardsman Armor (Only in flashback)
- Hawkeye's Bow
Synopsis for "-- They First Make Mad!"Edit
While attempting to restore the memories of Hercules in order to learn what his prophecies of doom could be, Hawkeye fills the Avengers in on how he returned to Earth and found Hercules.
During the climax of the Kree-Skrull War, as Goliath, Hawkeye was ordered to stop a Skrull ship that was setting to destroy the Earth. Boarding the ship, he realized that he was out of growth tablets and had to resort to his old archer ways in order to battle the Skrull warriors. Hawkeye managed to destroy the alien ship but ended up crash landing his escape shuttle on Earth in Yugoslavia where he is found by a circus troupe. He joins them as payment for travel and supplies until he can get to the nearest town and travel back to the United States. During his time with the circus, he learned that the strong man was really Hercules who had been stricken with amnesia. Hawkeye eventually convinced the god to join him on his trip back to America.
With his story finished, the Avengers probe their scientific minded members -- Black Panter and Ant-Man -- for solutions to restore Herc's memories, but to no avail. During this, Hawkeye professes his love to the Scarlet Witch, which creates tension between the two and the Vision. Then, Avengers mansion is invaded by the Kratos and Bia; Olympian warriors seeking to reclaim Hercules for Ares. During the battle against the Avengers, Scarlet Witch is injured, and the Vision and Hawkeye almost come to blows over aiding their injured teammate. However, the Avengers manage to fight off the two Olympian warriors who then flee the battle with Hercules as their prisoner. Afterward, the Avengers vow to go to Olympus and stop Ares to prevent the prophecy of doom from coming to be.
- Cover art: pencils by Buscema and Smith, inks by Smith.
- Kevin O'Brian's name is incorrectly spelled "O'Brien" in this issue.
- Quicksilver reads "Fear", a novella by L. Ron Hubbard in this issue.
- Hawkeye returns to the fold! Hercules in torment! This one paves the way for perhaps the greatest hundredth issue of all!
The title comes from a line, "Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad", which is spoken by Prometheus in Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem "The Masque of Pandora".
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|