Red Guardian (Alexi Shostakov)
Appearing in "The Valiant Also Die!"Edit
- Red Guardian (Alexi Shostakov) (Apparent death) (Main story and flashback)
- Colonel Ling (Death)
- General Brushov
- Captain America's Shield
- Captain America's Uniform
- Hawkeye's Bow
- An advanced polygraph
- Para-sonic thermo-ray
- "Mechanized Monster"
Synopsis for "The Valiant Also Die!"Edit
The Black Widow passes a lie-detector test and is set free. Meanwhile, the other Avengers attack the base. They gradually make headway, and Captain America is trapped and made to fight one-on-one with the Red Guardian. Hawkeye manages to escape and joins in the fighting. Captain America loses his shield but gains the upper hand, and Colonel Ling electrocutes him. The Red Guardian is unhappy that Captain America was defeated so dishonorably. Black Widow tries to disable the Psychotron, but is shot at by the Colonel. The Red Guardian leaps in the way and takes the shot and the Black Widow completes her task. She is then shot just as Hawkeye runs in and catches her. With the Psychotron disabled Hercules is free again and breaks out the base, with Hawkeye and Captain America following. Colonel Ling tries to kill Cap one last time with a rocket launcher but is stopped again by the Red Guardian. The rocket blows up the base, and the Avengers barely escape. Back in America, the Black Widow is rushed to the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.
- This story continues in part in Avengers Annual 1.
- Although Alexi Shostakov (Earth-616) dies in this issue, other individuals had previously and will later assume the role Red Guardian. The next will be Tania Belinskaya (Earth-616) in Defenders #35.
- E Pluribus Marvel! Be It Hereby Known To All True Believers That The Titanic Team Of Stan Lee (editor), Roy Thomas (writer), and John Buscema (artist) Have Co-Created Yet Another Mind-Bending Modern Masterpiece! -Signed- Vince Colletta (Inker) Sam Rosen (Letterer)
- Okay, So We Signed The Thing Already! Now Can We Have Our Paychecks? ... Vince and Sam
- references: Avengers #42
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|