Appearing in "In Our Midst... an Immortal!"Edit
- Power Man (Main story and flashback)
- Swordsman (Main story and flashback)
- Sirians (Mentioned)
- Ixar (Mentioned)
- Pluto (Mentioned)
- Titans (Mentioned)
- Trolls, Demons and Dragons (mentioned by Hercules as former foes) (Mentioned)
- Hephaestus (Mentioned)
- Edwin Jarvis
- Odin (Mentioned)
- Eros (Mentioned)
- Thor (Mentioned)
- Iron Man (Mentioned)
- Bucky (Mentioned)
- Gene Autry (Mentioned)
- Steve Reeves (Mentioned)
Races and Species:
- Olympus (Mentioned)
- Asgard (Mentioned)
- Captain America's Uniform and Shield
- Hawkeye's Bow and Trick Arrows
- Golden Mace
- Ares' Flail
- Enchantress' goblets
- Fountain of Eros
Synopsis for "In Our Midst... an Immortal!"Edit
Hercules is overcome by a love potion made by the Enchantress, accompanied by Ares. Under her control, he attacks the Avengers. With the Avengers help, he is brought back to his senses, but because he left Olympus, he is exiled on Earth by Zeus. The Avengers decide to house him for the duration in an act of friendship. Also, the Black Widow is captured by S.H.I.E.L.D. while going at attend an Avengers meeting and asked to act as a double-agent behind the Iron Curtain. She agrees but is unhappy to leave Hawkeye again.
- Captain America, Hawkeye, Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Goliath, Wasp and Black Widow were all seen last issue in Avengers #37.
- Hercules was last seen in Thor #132 where he was dropped off in Olympus by Thor following their battle with Pluto in Hades. This issue of the Avengers picks up Hercules' story from there.
- Page 1: Goliath expresses his disinterest in the Black Widow joining the Avengers, which he has expressed since Hawkeye petitioned her to be a member of the group in Avengers #36.
- Page 2: The remark that Quicksilver is faster than ever is a reference to the fact that he and the Scarlet Witch returned to their homeland of Transia when their powers were fading and believed that returning to their home country would restore their powers. They did this back in Avengers #30, they just recently rejoined the team in Avengers #37.
- Page 3: Black Widow recounts the battle against Ixar, Black Widow helped the Avengers defeat Ixar in Avengers #37, however did so by threatening to kill Ixar, which is against the Avengers code.
- Page 4: Hercules is battling Ares, picking up where their clash first began in Thor #131.
- Page 5: Enchantress appears, she was last seen in Avengers #22 where she and Power Man attempted to discredit and defeat the Avengers.
- The drink that Enchantress offers both Ares and Hercules is from the fountain of Eros, Eros is the Greek God of love.
- Page 6: Hercules mentions the "Cloven Hooves of Pan", Pan is the Greek god of nature.
- Hercules mentions a titanic battle against Thor, they did clash recently in Thor #128.
- Page 7: In having a meeting about admitting Black Widow into the Avengers, the heroes state that Iron Man and Thor are unable to make it. Iron Man is busy in Tales of Suspense #87 and Thor is occupied in Mighty Thor #138 where he is on Earth looking for Sif who has been captured by Trolls.
- Page 8: The SHIELD members and Nick Fury were last seen in Strange Tales #138, where they battled Hydra (again) in space.
- The mention of Black Widow being brainwashed by communists in the far east is a reference to Avengers #29 where she was used as a pawn by an eastern country to destroy the Avengers.
- Page 9: The Avengers get word that Captain America left his station: He was tricked into thinking Bucky survived World War 2 and was tricked into a trap set by Swordsman and Power Man. This event marks Cap's brief leave of absence from the Avengers roster, he will return to the team in Avengers #42.
- Page 10: Black Widow walks out of the Avengers mansion while they are debating her being a member, she will return to help them many times in the future, but doesn't actually become an official member of the group until Avengers #111.
- Page 11: Quicksilver tells Goliath that they're battling the Enchantress, someone the Avengers faced while he was on leave. Firstly, since Quicksilver first joined the Avengers they battled the Enchantress in Avengers #21-22, although Quicksilver must not be aware that prior to Goliath's departure in Avengers 18. He had fought Enchantress a number of times as Giant-Man when she was a member of the Masters of Evil. Their first clash occurred in Avengers #7.
- Page 12: Hercules mentions Quicksilver is as fast as Hermes, Hermes is the Greek god of boundaries.
- Page 13: Goliath mentions being aware that Hercules and Thor "parted as friends"
is a reference again to Thor #131.
- Page 18: The slight that Enchantress needed Power Man in the past is a reference to her turning Erik Josten in Power Man and attacking the Avengers in Avengers #21-22.
- Hercules becomes a guest to the Avengers, he doesn't become an official member until Avengers #45.
- Captain America of course left part way into this issue to take part in events depicted in Tales of Suspense #88 (mentioned above), he next appears in Tales of Suspense #89, which starts a story arc with the Red Skull in which it appears Cap teams up with the Skull and betrays his country.
- Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Goliath, Wasp, Hercules, and Black Widow are all seen again in Avengers #39.
- Enchantress is seen again in Avengers Annual #1. She is among a number of other villains recruited by the Mandarin to get revenge on the Avengers.
- Hawkeye and the Black Widow shouldn't have been worrying over keeping the Widow threatening a life a secret, because the Scarlet Witch saw the whole thing (she was imprisoned, not unconscious at the time).
- The reason for Hercules' arrival was that Roy Thomas asked to bring Thor back (again), Stan Lee said no (again), but suggested Hercules as an alternative.
- The credits read:
- Edited for Everyman by Stan Lee
- Scripted for Somebody by Roy Thomas
- Penciled for Posterity by Don Heck
- Inked for Immortality by George Bell
- Lettered for a living by Artie Simek
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|