- I didn't know there was a contest goin' on! But we should'a guessed it! Seems like everybody's tryin' to conquer the universe these days!
- -- Hawkeye
Appearing in "To Conquer a Colossus!"Edit
- Mickey Mantle (Mentioned)
Synopsis for "To Conquer a Colossus!"Edit
The Avengers are captured by the Ultroids, but Black Widow, not being an Avenger is sent to be destroyed. The spaceship takes off. Goliath changes shape and escapes, setting free the rest of the Avengers. They fight to a stalemate, as if they go any further, Ixar will kill the burgomeister of the village. Ixar then absorbs the power of all the Ultroids, giving him a huge body. The Avengers attack but are all defeated except for Hawkeye and the Black Widow, who believe the life of Ixar is related to the life of the burgomeister, and so threaten to kill him. Ixar speculates that Hawkeye can't as he is bound by Avengers code to never take a life. Black Widow reminds Ixar that she is not an Avenger, and he is forced to release all the Avengers.
- The Black Widow assists the team on this adventure, but she is not an official member of the team. She will not become an official member until Avengers #111.
- Here's a link to the rejected Don Heck cover for this issue:  (And if you don't like that one check out the Jack Kirby version for the reprinted story from Marvel Triple Action #29!). It is interesting that the published cover seems to simply invert the situation. Instead of seeing the villain's front and the Avenger's backs, Kane shows us the reverse.
- The credits read: Avengers All!
- Electrifying Editing by Stan Lee
- Scintillating Scripting by Roy Thomas
- Invigorating Illustrating by Don Heck
- Languishing Lettering by Artie Simek
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|