Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Appearing in "The Sign of the Serpent!"Edit
- Inactive Avengers
- Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff)
- Nick Fury
- SHIELD Agents
- Bill Foster (First appearance)
- General Chen (First appearance)
- Henry and his wife (First appearance)
- Mr. Gonzales (First appearance)
- The District Attorney
- New York City
- United Nations Building
- Garden of Eden (Mentioned)
- Captain America's Shield
- Captain America's Uniform
- Hawkeye's Bow
- Serpent Staff (First appearance)
- Sons of the Serpent's helicopter
- Sons of the Serpent's Air Shuttle
Synopsis for "The Sign of the Serpent!"Edit
Captain America encourages Goliath to keep looking for a solution to his height-switching ability and finds a new assistant, Bill Foster. The Sons of the Serpent attack foreign people, including General Chen, the dictator of a communist country while he visits the UN. The Black Widow provides information to Hawkeye to prove herself to him. Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch discover they will regain their full powers. Bill Foster, being African-American, gets attacked by the Sons of the Serpent. Captain America goes to Nick Fury for more information about them. The Avengers vow to defeat the Sons of the Serpent, but Captain America is kidnapped. The Avengers have no option but to refuse to fight against the Sons of the Serpent.
- Captain America, Hawkeye, Goliath, Wasp, Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were all seen last issue in Avengers 31
- This marks the first appearance of the racist group Sons of the Serpent, they appear again in next month's issue Avengers 33.
- This also marks the first appearance of Bill Foster, who would eventually become a size-changing hero also named Goliath. He also appears next issue.
- Black Widow makes an appearance after her last one in Avengers 30 when she was brainwashed by Communists to fight the Avengers with the aid of Swordsman and Power Man. We see her next in Avengers 33.
- When Cap goes to the barber shop that is a front for a secret SHIELD base, the business card he hands the barber was aquired during a previous encounter with SHIELD. and Nick Fury follow the events of Tales of Suspense #78.
- Nick Fury was last seen Strange Tales 149, he'll be seen again in Strange Tales 150. Fury mentions that he was planning on tackling the Sons of the Serpent after he dealt with AIM. (Advanced Idea Mechanics) whom S.H.I.E.L.D. had been butting heads with since Strange Tales 146 through Strange Tales 149.
- Tony Stark (AKA Iron Man)'s brief appearance in this issue happens after Tales of Suspense 86, he's next seen in Amazing Spider-Man Annual 3 where the original Avengers reunite to consider Spider-Man for membership in the Avengers.
- This issue is reprinted in Giant-Size Marvel Triple Action 2 as well as Essential Avengers Vol 2.
- It's hard to believe that Jan can grow her hair by the time she finds out where Goliath is and go there, then cut it again on the plane trip back.
- Roy Thomas says that the reason Bill Foster's skin tone was similar to Gabe Jones of the Howling Commandos was that brown was a little harder to make (a certain combination of red, blue, and yellow), and even more complicated to do it panel after panel after panel (not like a tree, where as a person it could be offensive).
- Dr. Pym and Bill Foster both discuss a molecular theory proposed by a scientist named Von Steinholz. This person is fictitious and no such scientist exists.
The credits read:
Stan Lee, Writer and Raconteur
Don Heck, Artist and Bon Vivant
Artie Simek, Letterer and Patron Des Artes
Irv Forbush, Scapegoat, Junior Grade
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|