Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Appearing in "The Bitter Taste of Defeat!"Edit
- New York policemen
- Baron Zemo (Heinrich Zemo) (Only in flashback)
- Executioner (Only in flashback)
- Wonder Man (Only in flashback)
- Santa Claus (Mentioned)
- The mayor of New York City (who was Robert F. Wagner, Jr., at the time of the publication)
- Carol Channing (Mention)
- Amazon Jungle
- New York City
- Westchester County
- Captain America's Shield
- Captain America's Uniform
- Hawkeye's Bow
- Pym Particles / Ionic Energy
Synopsis for "The Bitter Taste of Defeat!"Edit
Erik Josten, an agent for Baron Zemo before he died, returns to the machinery used to create Wonder Man. There he finds the Enchantress, who tells him she will use the machine to make him strong too. He agrees and is given the name "Power Man". The Enchantress then creates a number of illusions around the city that make the Avengers seem dangerous when they accidentally destroy property and endanger lives. Captain America then tries to subdue Power Man as he attacks men with important documents, only to find out that the men were imposters trying to steal them. Hawkeye, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are also caught with similar traps. The Avengers believe themselves to be nuisances and are ordered by the authorities to disband.
- The Avengers last appeared in Fantastic Four Annual #3 where they defended the Richards wedding from an army of super-villains that were manipulated by Dr. Doom into crashing the reception.
- Hawkeye, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch made a brief cameo apperance in Journey Into Mystery #120, where Thor journeyed to Avengers Mansion seeking aid only to find the new members whom he wasn't familiar with.
- This is the first appearance of Erik Josten, who took on the mantel of Power Man at this time.
- Although there is a Captain America story in Tales of Suspense #70. It is a flashback tale from World War II.
- The Enchantress was last seen in Fantastic Four Annual #3 where she was manipulated by Dr. Doom into crashing the Richards wedding, she was defeated by a number of New York's heroes who were attending the wedding.
- Josten's recounting the end of his employment with Baron Zemo refers to Zemo's death (and the destruction of his base in South America) at the hand of Captain America back in Avengers #15.
- References to the Zemo's creation of Wonder Man are a reference to Avengers #9. The device the is used on Josten to turn him into Power Man was the same device that turn Simon Williams into Wonder Man.
- The Avengers, Power Man, and Enchantress are all seen again in Avengers #22.
- Written with the Usual Stan Lee Madness!
- Drawn with the Usual Don Heck Magnificence!
- Inked with the Usual Wally Wood Magic!
- Lettered with the Usual Artie Simek Mistakes!
- references: Avengers #9 (x2)
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|