- If I can destroy the Avengers single-handed, then no power on Earth can stop the total invasion of my people!
Appearing in "The Space Phantom"Edit
- Bill (First appearance)
- Limbo (First appearance)
- United States of America
- Anthony Stark's Moon Vehicle
Synopsis for "The Space Phantom"Edit
The Avengers are having a meeting in Stark's library when the Space Phantom lands on Earth and assumes the figure of a random civilian and proceeds to enter Stark's mansion.The Hulk proceeds to investigate but the Space Phantom takes his form, and then proceeds to fight among The Avengers. He then leaves and meets up with Rick Jones who is suspicious of the 'Hulk', and so The Space Phantom reveals his true identity and abandons Rick.
The 'Hulk' the destroys a new gun that Tony Stark had just invented, triggering the device in the process and causing Tony to suit up as Iron Man and proceed to fight. However the The Space Phantom changes into a Wasp without Iron Man realizing with the Hulk reappearing and Iron Man fighting the real Hulk.
Meanwhile Rick Jones finds a member of his Teen Brigade and proceeds to call Giant Man and The Wasp and explain what has happened to his teammate.
Giant Man finds Iron Man and The Hulk fighting and separates them. But the Space Phantom as a wasp attacks The Wasp, who alerts Giant Man of the danger via his cybernetic helmet. They then head to Stark's factory where The Space Phantom impersonates Giant Man. However this change is observed by The Wasp and Hulk, who proceed to battle 'Giant Man'. In the process one of Stark's Inventions temporarily stuns Iron Man and The Phantom then turns into Iron Man, again The Hulk sees this change and prepares to battle.
Meanwhile, The Wasp goes to see Don Blake in order to contact Thor. Both return to find The Hulk and Giant Man being trapped by Iron Man's air jets. So The Wasp enters Iron Man's suit and shuts off the Air Jets, while Thor throws his Hammer, which Iron Man repulses, so Thor unleashes the elements upon him, causing the suit to rust, so The Space Phantom attempts to impersonate Thor. However,the Space Phantom is cast into Limbo, as immortal beings cannot be assumed.
Hulk then leaves the Avengers because he feels they dislike him.
- Since the last issue of the Avengers, Ant Man and Wasp battled the Porcupine in Tales to Astonish #48, and the Living Eraser in Tales to Astonish #49, in which Ant Man takes on his guise as Giant Man.
- Since the last issue, Iron Man went on to battle the Crimson Dynamo in Tales of Suspense #46, and the Melter in Tales of Suspense #47.
- Thor went on to battle the Lava Man in Journey Into Mystery #97, and the Cobra in Journey Into Mystery #98
- The Hulk did not have a title of his own, and did not appear in anything after Avengers #1, additionally this is his last issue as a member of the Avengers team.
- This marks the first appearance of the Space Phantom. He next appears in Avengers #106.
- The Limbo that Space Phantom shunts his victims into is later revealed as the same place that is home to Immortus. Space Phantom's entire race is revealed to be trapped in limbo, and Space Phantom himself an agent of Immortus.
- This story is Job # X-435.
- references: Tales to Astonish #49
- This issue is reprinted in comics and books, see references for more info.
- The Hulk has only three toes in this issue. He normally has five.
- Rick Jones mistakenly says that The Hulk's secret identity is Don Blake instead of Bruce Banner.
- The Hulk eventually rejoins the Avengers in Avengers Assemble Vol. 2 #2
- "Some Assembly Required" Story from Avengers Classic #1 explains how and when the Avengers got their headquarters.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Avengers Vol 1 2 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Avengers series
- Images from Avengers Vol 1 2
Links and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ This issue is reprinted in the following comics/TPB's:
|Like this? Let us know!|