Appearing in "On the Matter of Heroes!"Edit
- Beast (Hank McCoy)
- Black Panther (T'Challa) (Leaves Team)
- Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff) (Leaves Team)
- Captain America (Steve Rogers)
- Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) (Leaves Team)
- Hawkeye (Clint Barton) (Leaves Team)
- Hercules (Heracles) (Leaves Team)
- Iron Man (Tony Stark)
- Moondragon (Leaves Team)
- Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) (Leaves Team)
- Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff)
- Wasp (Janet van Dyne)
- Wonder Man (Simon Williams) (Leaves Team)
- Yellowjacket (Henry Pym) (Leaves Team)
- Henry Peter Gyrich
- Scott Lang (First appearance)
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers)
- Edwin Jarvis
- Falcon (Sam Wilson) (Mentioned)
- white-bearded figure
- Errol Flynn (First appearance) (Appears on a Computer Screen, TV or Hologram Only)
- Herbert Mundin (First appearance) (Appears on a Computer Screen, TV or Hologram Only)
- New York City
- Iron Man Armor MK V
- Black Widow's Gauntlets
- Captain America's Shield
- Hawkeye's Bow
Synopsis for "On the Matter of Heroes!"Edit
Wonder Man and Beast catch a movie, and after discuss the need and psychological role that heroes play. They return to the mansion, only to have inserting Wonder Man's key provoke a security response! They manage to unentangle themselves and, thinking something is wrong, they burst through the door to find a technician (Scott Lang). Wonder Man is in the middle of shaking him down when Gyrich and Tony Stark come up and stop him. Gyrich tells them to head to the conference room, where he'll make known the rest of his demands for the Avengers priority status to be returned to them.
A cab drops a mysterious white-bearded person off in front of Avengers mansion.
Inside, Gyrich addresses all Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy. He tells them that they have to pare down to seven members (!!), and then proceeds to tell them who those members will be! He lists Iron Man, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Beast, Captain America, Wasp, and... The Falcon? Iron Man objects, but Gyrich tells them equal opportunity for minorities is a federal requirement. Quicksilver also objects strenuously on the grounds that Falcon isn't even an Avenger, and then suddenly falls over. Thor rushes to "get a doctor", and outside the mysterious white-bearded man smiles.
Doctor Blake is waiting for test results. The Guardians of the Galaxy are leaving to return to their time. Wonder Man packs his bags. Jan and Henry flirt. Various other now "former" members leave to much sadness, with the few remaining to be gone in 24 hours, and then Wanda also mysteriously collapses! Dr. Blake reveals that Quicksilver's test results just came in - his heart no longer beats, but his body doesn't decay... He is neither dead nor truly alive!
The mysterious white-bearded figure checks into a hotel and opens his bag to reveal two little wooden figures carved to look like Wanda and Pietro in cages, and they're moving! Not only that, but the man refers to them as... his children?
- Letters (story pages): Saladino (uncredited) page 1, Heinl pages 2-17.
- This issue also contains an advert for Hostess Cupcakes featuring the Hulk.
- This issue is reprinted in comics and books, see references for info.
- Scott Lang next appeares in Marvel Premiere #47
Links and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ 1938's "Adventures of Robin Hood" starring Errol Flynn.
- ↑ We last saw him in Avengers #173. He had been seen with pictures of Wanda and Pietro!
- ↑ This would be the second time someone has been implicated as their father. The first was the Whizzer! (See Giant-Size Avengers #1.
- ↑ This story is reprinted in the following comics/TPB's:
|Like this? Let us know!|