Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Avengers Assemble!
- -- Said for the first time ever by Thor
Appearing in "The Avengers Break Up!"Edit
- Immortus (First appearance)
- The Masters of Evil
- The two-headed troll of Travasaak (Mentioned)
- Attila the Hun
- Hercules (First appearance) (not the hero of Marvel canon)
- Paul Bunyan (First appearance)
- Goliath (First appearance) (the biblical giant)
- Merlin the Magician
- Medieval Guards
- New York City
- The Tower of London (First appearance)
- Amazon Jungle
- Zemo's Headquarters
Synopsis for "The Avengers Break Up!"Edit
Immortus appears before the Masters of Evil, wanting to ally himself with them. At first, Zemo is distrusting and offended that Immortus thinks himself superior to them. Zemo sends Executioner to battle Immortus, instead, Immortus sends Paul Bunyan in his stead to fight. After a quick skirmish, They agree to do so one condition:- to destroy the Avengers. Immortus agrees. He puts an advert in a newspaper offering people superpowers. Rick Jones notices the ad as he wants power to increase his chances of being an Avenger, and falls for the trap. Captain America finds the ad and goes to the location of the ad.
Immortus tells Captain America that one of the other Avengers sent Rick here. Cap goes back to HQ to find the traitor, and takes them all back to Immortus. Immortus pits each Avenger to a character picked out of time that is similar to them, Giant-Man is first, and his opponent is Goliath (Biblical) at first, Goliath easily outmatches Giant-Man in terms of strength, and instead, Giant-Man uses intelligence. He shrinks to the size of an ant, and using himself as the ball, Giant-Man hits Goliath in the forehead defeats Goliath as David did before. Iron Man is next- he fights the Wizard Merlin. Merlin traps Iron Man in a cage of tempered steel, to which Iron Man remarks that if he wins the battle, he'll never complain about enemies such as the Mandarin or Hawkeye ever again.
Iron Man easily breaks free, and dodges thunderbolts shot by Merlin. He uses a device which produces flashing lights and irritating sounds, which disorients the much older Merlin, causing him to faint. Immortus sends out Hercules (Not to be confused with the Hercules who appears later on) to battle the Mighty Thor. Surprisingly, the fight was evenly-matched, until Hercules breaks the standstill, dropping his Herculean Club and grapples Thor to which Thor also drops his Hammer. Thor tries to imbalance Hercules, leading them to a window, where Hercules falls out the window, only to be caught by Thor, and Hercules yields to the Thunder God.
Immortus, not wanting to take any more chances, grabs Captain America and sends him back into time to save Rick. The other Avengers are attacked by the Masters of Evil while they are weakened. Iron Man is attacked by Executioner, Giant-Man is shrunk down to normal size and left in a confused state by the Enchantress, and Thor gets shot by a gun which upon contact with living flesh, turns it into solid stone.
As the battle ensues, the Wasp aids Giant-Man by trying to confuse Enchantress. Iron Man trades blows with Executioner, and Thor starts getting turned into solid stone, helpless. as Iron Man's repulsors are destroyed, Giant-Man still normal-sized (Remarking how his growth serum is weaker than the Enchantress' magic) and Wasp still unable to confuse Enchantress enough, an Thor still helpless, Baron Zemo states how he longed for this moment, and prolongs his final shot to Thor, wanting to savor the moment. a familiar voice protests, as a spinning shield destroys Zemo's gun. Captain America then aids fellow Avenger Iron Man against Executioner. As Executioner gets downed by Cap's shield, Wasp has distracted Enchantress enough that the spell wore off, returning Giant-Man to his Giant size, Thor yells "Avengers Assemble" after breaking free of his rock imprisonment, and at the last instant, Enchantress sends herself, Zemo and Executioner back in time, a time before they met Immortus.
Appearing in "The One and Only Cap!"Edit
Synopsis for "The One and Only Cap!"Edit
A one page Marvel Masterwork Pin-Up
- Thor is last seen in a battle against Mister Hyde and the Cobra over the fate of Jane Foster. This battle carries on through the course of Journey Into Mystery #110 and Journey Into Mystery 111.
- Iron Man is last seen battling the Black Knight in Tales of Suspense #59, Cap is also featured in his fist Silver Age solo story in this issue as well.
- Giant Man and Wasp were last seen tackling Egghead and one of his androids in Tales to Astonish #61.
- The Enchantress, Executioner, and Baron Zemo were all last seen in Avengers #9.
- Executioner mentions Odin taking away a portion of his and Enchantress's power back in Avengers #7 following their defeat at the hands of Thor in Journey Into Mystery #103.
- Although this is the first appearance of Immortus, he is later revealed to be yet another future version of Rama Tut and Kang in Giant-Size Avengers #2.
- Although Immortus uses many figures from different points in history, it's entirely possible that these are all imposter's or from alternate time lines as Merlin does not recall his battle with Thor in Journey Into Mystery #96, nor does Hercules remember his battle with Thor in later issues.
- Thor's next "new" appearance (As Journey Into Mystery #110-111 is a two part story) is Journey Into Mystery #112 where Thor recounts additional details in his battle against the Hulk from Avengers #3.
- Giant Man and Wasp are next seen in Tales to Astonish #62 where they fight each other.
- Iron Man is next seen in Tales of Suspense #60 where he battles Hawkeye for the second time.
- Captain America & Rick Jones next appear in a solo adventure in Tales of Suspense #60 as well where they battle Baron Zemo and his army of assassins.
- Immortus' alter ego Kang appears next issue.
- Immortus is seen briefly in Avengers #16. He will then not appear again until Giant-Size Avengers #2.
- Baron Zemo is next seen in Tales of Suspense #60 where he battles Captain America.
- Enchantress and the Executioner are not seen again until Avengers #15.
- This issue is reprinted (complete with pin-up of Captain America) in Marvel Triple Action #5 and Essential Avengers Vol 1.
- Story Superbly Written by: Stan Lee
- Art Adorably Drawn by: Don Heck
- Inked by Darlin' Dick Ayers
- Lettered by Stalwart Sam Rosen
- references: Avengers #7 and Avengers #9
This is the first time the catchphrase "Avengers Assemble" has ever been said. Though this battle never officially happened, since Enchantress reset the time of this battle, Thor was the first to say the words.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|