Appearing in "On Wings of Death!"Edit
- Betty Brant
- Burglar (Appears in Flashback)
- Gwen Stacy (Recap)
- Dr. Bromwell (Recap)
- Dr. Octopus (Recap)
- Vulture (Recap)
- Rhino (Recap)
- Green Goblin (Recap)
- Kingpin (Recap)
- Sandman (Recap)
- Lizard (Recap)
- George Stacy (Recap)
- Gwen Stacy (Recap)
- Mary Jane Watson (Recap)
- Harry Osborn (Recap)
- Flash Thompson (Recap)
- Randy Robertson (Recap)
- Robbie Robertson (Recap)
- J. Jonah Jameson (Recap)
- Uncle Ben (Mentioned)
Synopsis for "On Wings of Death!"Edit
Dealing with the fact that Gwen Stacy has left for England, Peter Parker roams New York reflecting on his past. He reflects on the events that gave him spider-powers and how the death of his Uncle Ben led him to become the super-hero known as Spider-Man. He then reflects on his career as Spider-Man and his social life up until today. The whole time he wanders about the city, he remains ignorant of the fact that the Beetle has escaped from prison and has been robbing various establishments since his escape.
Peter's wanderings find him at Aunt May's house, where he learns the news about the Beetle and takes a nap on his aunt's couch. After a dream involving the Beetle, Peter is awoken by Anna Watson, who tells Peter that Aunt May has been kidnapped by the Beetle while she was out doing groceries.
Peter slips away and changes into Spider-Man and comes to his Aunt's rescue. After a battle with the Beetle, Spider-Man manages to defeat his foe when he tosses the Beetle into a nearby swimming pool. The weight of the Beetles costume causes him to sink to the bottom, giving Spider-Man the opportunity to web him up for the authorities.
Changing back into Peter Parker, Spidey checks on his Aunt May to make sure that she's okay and takes her home.
- Peter Parker recounts the origins of Spider-Man. This version is an abridged version of the original tale told in Amazing Fantasy #15. The scene at Uncle Ben's funeral was originally depicted in Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #1.
- The memory of Dr. Bromwell warning Peter that Aunt May has a weak heart in Amazing Spider-Man #39.
- Peter recounts his relationship with Betty Brant. Their romance started to blossom circa Amazing Spider-Man #9, however it became strained since Betty began to blame Spider-Man for the apparent death of her brother in Amazing Spider-Man #11. The couple drifted apart and Betty eventually began seeing Ned Leeds in Amazing Spider-Man #18 and ultimately got engaged in Amazing Spider-Man #30.
- Parker also recalls how he ended up getting a job as a freelance photographer for the Daily Bugle. That happened in Amazing Spider-Man #2.
- Peter recognises the Beetle as they first fought Amazing Spider-Man #21.
Flashbacks in this story affect the chronology of the following characters:
- Page 2, Panel 4 - Peter Parker observes the experiment that will irradiate the spider that gives him his powers.
- Page 2, Panel 6 - The spider inches down toward Peter.
- Page 2, Panel 7-Page 4, Panel 2 (Recap) - Peter is bit by the spider, discovers his powers, creates Spider-Man identity.
- Page 4, Panel 3 - Spider-Man practices web-slinging.
- Page 4, Panel 4-5 (Recap) - Spider-Man lets the Burglar escape.
- Page 4, Panel 6 - Spider-Man shows his web-shooting skills on television.
- Page 5, Panel 2-3 (Recap) - Peter returns home learns that the burglar killed his Uncle Ben, goes to get revenge.
- Page 5, Panel 4 - Spider-Man arrives at the Acme Warehouse.
- Page 5, Panel 5 - Spider-Man peeks through a boarded up window and sees the burglar.
- Page 5, Panel 6 - Spider-Man crashes in through the window.
- Page 5, Panel 7-9 (Recap) - The Burglar tries to stop Spider-Man, is knocked out.
- Page 6, Panel 1 - Spider-Man considers harming the Buglar even more, decides against it.
- Page 6, Panel 2-2 (Recap) - Peter laments how his inaction led to Uncle Ben's death.
- Page 6, Panel 4-5 - Peter attends Uncle Ben's funeral.
- Page 6, Panels 4-5 - May attends her husband's funeral.
- Page 5, Panel 6 - The Burglar is startled when Spider-Man comes crashing away.
- Page 5, Panel 7 - The Burglar tries to shoot Spider-Man.
- Page 6, Panel 1 - Spider-Man considers hurting the Burglar some more, but decides against it.
It's like old times - a knock-'em-down and drag-'em-out battle between Spidey and - the bludgeoning Beetle! Plus Spidey's "origin" for you latecomers!
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|