Appearing in "The Brand of the Brainwasher!"Edit
- Aunt May
- George Stacy (See Chronology)
- Gwen Stacy (See Chronology)
- Harry Osborn (See Chronology)
- Mary Jane Watson
- Police Commissioner
- Assistant D.A. (Mentioned)
- New York City
- Spider-Man's Web-Shooters
- Brainwashing device (First appearance)
Synopsis for "The Brand of the Brainwasher!"Edit
Spider-Man is on his way to go see his Aunt May in the hospital, when the police attempt to apprehend him, but he manages to get away. Finding out which room his Aunt May is in and switching back to his civilian guise, he goes and visits her. When the doctor reminds him that he's been a missing person for days, Peter goes to the police station to tell them what happened. There he explains that Spider-Man took him hostage while the hero was suffering from amnesia. When his memory returned, Peter was let go. This partially true explanation is accepted by Captain Stacey who reunites Peter with Gwen. Gwen is so happy to see him, that she kisses Peter on the lips, much to his surprise. The pair then meet up with the rest of their friends at the Coffee Bean.
They decide to go and check out Gloom Room A-Go-Go, the new nightclub where Mary Jane works as a dancer. They are unaware that this club is secretly a front where a criminal scientist Gerhard Winkler is using brainwashing technology to get control of the most influential people in New York. To this end, his employer has Mary Jane snap photographs of people with a special camera that makes them return to the club later where Winkler brainwashes them to be subserviant to his employer. That evening, Mary Jane uses the camera on a local councilman, as well as Captain Stacy.
Stacy tells everyone that he is going out for fresh air, but Gwen begins to worry about her father when he doesn't return. Peter, also finding it suspicious decides to go look for him -- but as Spider-Man. Spidey goes in back and catches Winkler in the process of brainwashing George Stacy, but before Spider-Man can stop him, he's grabbed by Winkler's employer: The Kingpin.
- The type of camera used by Mary Jane in this issue should be considered a topical reference per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616.
Events occur behind the scenes in this story that affect the chronology of the following characters:
- Page 1-8, Panel 1 - Peter visits Aunt May at the hospital, explains his disappearance to the police, reunited with his friends.
- Page 8, Panel 2-Page 20 - Peter visits Gloom Room A-Go-Go, Spider-Man discovers it is a front for the Kingpin.
Captain George Stacy:
- Page 1-8, Panel 1 - George listens to Peter's explanation for his disappearance.
- Page 8, Panel 2-20 - George is brainwashed by the Kingpin.
- Page 1-8, Panel 1 - Gwen is reunited with Peter.
- Page 8, Panel 2-20 - Gwen goes to Gloom Room A-Go-Go.
- Page 1-8, Panel 1 - Harry is reunited with Peter.
- Page 8, Panel 2-20 - Harry goes to Gloom Room A-Go-Go.
- Produced by Stan (The Man) Lee and Johnny (Ring-a-Ding) Romita
- Enchantment by......Don Heck
- Embellishment by...Mickey Demeo
- Lettering by......Artie Simek
- Peter's Wardrobe......Forbush Fashions. Inc.
- No trivia.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|