Appearing in "Spidey Saves the Day! Featuring: The End of the Green Goblin!"Edit
- Harry Osborn (Appears in Flashback)
- Anna Watson
- Dr. Bromwell
- Mendel Stromm (Only in flashback)
- Enforcers (Recap)
- Human Torch (Recap)
- Lucky Lobo (Recap)
- Crime Master (Recap)
- Ned Leeds (Vision)
- United States of America
- Spider-Man's Suit
- Spider-Man's Web-Shooters
- Pumpkin Bomb
- Goblin Formula
- Retroscope (First appearance)
- Goblin Armor
Synopsis for "Spidey Saves the Day! Featuring: The End of the Green Goblin!"Edit
Pete is trapped by Norman Osborn who’s revealed himself to be the Green Goblin. Pete stalls him, mentioning Harry and playing with his emotions to get him to talk. Norman tells how he worked constantly to provide and always paid more attention to work than to his son.[Continuity 1] He reveals how Professor Stromm only borrowed money from a shared account, but Norman called the police reporting it as theft, leaving the company in his hands. Norman continues, saying Stromm had left formulas behind, and he decided to research them. As he was working on one, it exploded and hospitalized him.[Continuity 2]
This transformation changed him and he planned to use his company’s resources to become a super-criminal. At home, Aunt May is worried sick over Pete not calling her and Anna Watson calls in Dr. Bromwell. Meanwhile, Betty Brant is in a train station realizing she must return to New York and face everyone but unsure how.[Continuity 3] Pete is still working on the steel bonds and the Goblin recounts when Spider-Man has fought him and skews them as victories.[Continuity 4] He finishes his story and frees Pete to fight him on even terms. As they fight, the Goblin pulls out stun bombs, an electrical whip, and finally a Goblin Cannon. As Spider-Man delivers a kick, the Goblin goes into a mixture of live wires and chemicals and a fire starts.
Spider-Man rushes over not wanting to kill him, but Norman doesn’t know where he is or why he’s in costume.[Continuity 5] Not wanting to destroy his reputation or Harry’s feelings, he’s quickly changed out of his costume for the police to take him to a hospital. Pete rushes home and Dr. Bromwell has just sedated Aunt May. Aunt May begins to take care of Pete’s “fever” and Harry visits his dad in the hospital.[Continuity 6]
- ↑ Here, Norman states that his wife, Emily had died when Harry was still young. However, unknown to Norman at this time, Emily actually faked her death. This will not be revealed until many years later in Amazing Spider-Man #700.
- ↑ The Green Goblin explains how he got Mendel Stromm arrested. Hence why he wanted revenge against Norman Osborn in Amazing Spider-Man #37.
- ↑ Betty Brant returns to New York after leaving in Amazing Spider-Man #34. She is torn between her turbulent romance with Peter Parker that has been ongoing since Amazing Spider-Man #4 and Ned Leeds marriage proposal in Amazing Spider-Man #30. She finally gives her answer in Amazing Spider-Man #43.
- ↑ The Green Goblin recounts his past battles with Spider-Man in Amazing Spider-Man #14, 17, 23, and 27. However, he omits his battle they fought in Untold Tales of Spider-Man #25. However, this is a technicality as Untold Tales of Spider-Man was published decades later.
- ↑ Although Norman Osborn is stricken with selective amnesia here, his memories ultimately return in Spectacular Spider-Man Magazine #2.
- ↑ Aunt May suffers from a weak heart following a surgery she received in Amazing Spider-Man #33.
A flashback in this story affect the chronology of the following characters:
- This issue is reprinted in many other comics and books, see references for more info.
- Conceived in fantasy, and dedicated to the proposition that all Marvelites are entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of comic book quality! So say we all!
- Stan Lee
- John Romita
- Mickey Demeo
- Sam Rosen
- Page 14, Panel 2 bests fits the image on the cover
- Mike Esposito is credited as Mickey Demeo
Links and ReferencesEdit
- Information and Review on Amazing Spider-Man #40 at www.samruby.com
- Review and detailed plot summary at www.spiderfan.org
|Like this? Let us know!|