Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Appearing in "If This Be My Destiny...!"Edit
- Daily Bugle Staff
- Aunt May
- Flash Thompson
- Gwen Stacy (First appearance)
- Harry Osborn (First appearance)
- Dean Corliss (First appearance)
- ESU students
- United States of America
- Master Planner's helicopter
Synopsis for "If This Be My Destiny...!"Edit
Spider-Man is swinging around town when he notices a group of masked men escape by helicopter from a plant that produces atomic devices. As he swings on board and fights the men in the helicopter, they dump the stolen cargo into the water below. Spider-Man doesn't notice this as he’s assaulted by sleeping gas and has to swing out before he falls prey. As he looks underwater, the men and the gadgets have disappeared. Meanwhile, in a underwater base, a person sends a task force to retrieve the cargo from the water. Spider-Man leaves and goes to register for his first year of college. Peter comes home and Aunt May suddenly faints. After Dr. Bromwell visits, he decides to send her to the hospital. As Aunt May lies sick, Peter goes through with school but being in such a depressed state of affairs, gives everyone the cold shoulder including new classmates Harry Osborn and Gwen Stacy. Unfortunately for Peter, everyone sees him as selfish because of his science scholarship. News at The Daily Bugle is slow so J. Jonah Jameson assigns Frederick Foswell to stir up a story and, disguised as Patch, finds out that nuclear devices are to be loaded on board a ship later that night. Unsure of the tip, Patch gives it to Spider-Man to investigate and as he arrives, he sees the same masked men from before. He fights them only briefly before they dive in the water. Spider-Man stops the theft (without pictures) and we learn that he has foiled the plans of someone called the Master Planner. The Master Planner is plotting his revenge as well as his research on an atomic ray in an underwater base. Meanwhile, two doctors finish up tests on Aunt May and come to the conclusion that she may not live much longer.
- This story is reprinted in Marvel Masterworks #16.
- In Steve Ditko's final year of work on Amazing Spider-Man, this is the only issue in which he is not given a plotter's credit. It is possible this was an oversight.
- First appearance of Gwen Stacy and Harry Osborn, 2 of the biggest characters in the series.
- Masterful script by: Stan Lee
- Magnificent artwork by: Steve Ditko
- Mellifluous lettering by: Sam Rosen
- Aunt May's illness can be traced back to the blood transfusion Peter gave her in Amazing Spider-Man #10.
Links and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|