Appearing in "Unmasked By Doctor Octopus!"Edit
- Aunt May
- Daily Bugle Staff
- Flash Thompson
- Liz Allan
- Dr. Bromwell
- Peter Parker's high school classmates
- New York Police Department
- Betty Brant's replacement
- United States of America
- Spider-Man's Suit
- Spider-Man's Web-Shooters
- Spider-Man's Utility Belt
- Spider-Man's Spider-Signal
- Doctor Octopus' Tentacles
- Daily Bugle Newspaper
Synopsis for "Unmasked By Doctor Octopus!"Edit
Betty Brant has returned to New York and taken back her secretary job at the Daily Bugle. Dr. Octopus has also returned to New York, plotting to get revenge on Spider-Man, and decides to use Betty as bait. Kidnapping Betty from the Bugle building, he tells Jameson to put a call out to Spider-Man to meet him at a nearby amusement park.
With his spider-powers seemingly gone because he's come down with a cold, Peter decides he that he has no choice but to save Betty as he is, and so he accepts the challenge of Dr. Octopus. When he tells Jameson (pretending that he just heard it so his identity isn't compromised), Jameson decides to go and report the story himself.
When Spider-Man arrives to battle Dr. Octopus, all his powers have completely faded. Naturally, the powerless Spider-Man proves to be no match for Dr. Octopus. Dr. Octopus then publicly unmasks Spider-Man; when they all consider how Peter Parker could be Spider-Man, Octopus dismisses Parker as posing as Spider-Man to save his girlfriend, because Spider-Man would put up a better fight. He then flees the scene to try and find some other way to get the "real" Spider-Man's attention.
Everyone gives Peter grief for the danger he put himself in; however, Liz Allen finds the whole episode romantic, and her opinion of Peter changes and she realizes that she's attracted to him. The next day, Peter wakes up and finds that the cold has passed and as a result his powers are back. When Dr. Octopus releases animals from the zoo, Peter goes into action as Spider-Man. He rounds up all the animals, and then gets into a fight with Dr. Octopus across the city.
Their fight takes them to an artist's loft, where they inadvertently start a fire; when the flames grow too big, Spider-Man flees and Dr. Octopus is knocked out when he inhales too much smoke. The fire is put out, and Octopus is turned over to the police. Having changed back to his civilian identity, Peter is asked out on a date by Liz Allen. Peter rejects her date telling her that he's going to go on a better one with Betty Brant, and tells her to go on a date with Flash Thompson because they deserve each other.
- Doctor Octopus recalls how Spider-Man rescued Betty Brant in the past, he is referring to the events of last issue.
- The unmasking of Peter Parker is revisited in a flashback in Amazing Spider-Man #87 and Sensational Spider-Man Vol 2 #28.
- References pertaining to type of camera that Peter Parker uses should be considered topical references per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616.
Events occur behind the scenes in this story that affect the chronology of the following characters:
- Page 1-2 - Peter Parker returns to New York after failing to capture Doctor Octopus in Philidelphia.
- Page 3-22 - Spider-Man catches up to Doctor Octopus, defeats him.
J. Jonah Jameson:
- Page 1-2 - Jameson is relieved to have Betty Brant back working for him.
- Page 3-21 - Jameson observes Spider-Man's battle with Doctor Octopus.
- Page 1-2 - Betty returns to her job at the Daily Bugle.
- Page 3-21 - Betty is captured by Doctor Octopus, rescued by Spider-Man.
- This issue is reprinted in Amazing Spider-Man # 2 (Pocket Books).
- Written in the white heat of inspiration by: Stan Lee
- Drawn in a wild frenzy of enthusiasm by: Steve Ditko
- Lettered in a comfortable room by: Art Simek
- On Page 14, Panel 5, in an effort to attract Spider-Man, Dr. Octopus tips over a sign advertising Leedit, Inc. This is an obvious nod to Spider-Man creators Stan Lee and Steve Ditko (the KO still sounds like CO, and if you're referring to companies, a synonom for CO is Inc.).
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|