- Silence! I called this meeting to inform you that I'm taking over all the rackets in the city! From now on, the Big Man is head of the crime syndicate! I'm going to run this little enterprise like a big business! As boss of our organization, I'll give all the orders! ...and my Enforcers here will make sure that my orders are carried out! Any questions?
- -- Big Man
Appearing in "The Enforcers!"Edit
- Big Man (Frederick Foswell) (First appearance)
- Enforcers (First appearance)
- Mr. and Mrs. Abbott (First appearance) (May Parker's Neighbors)
- Peter Parker's High School Classmates
- Various Crime Bosses and other Criminals
- United States of America
Synopsis for "The Enforcers!"Edit
The crime boss Big Man has gathered a group called the Enforcers in order to strong arm all the other gangs in New York to work for him. When the other mobsters refuse, they are beaten into submission by Ox, Montana and Fancy Dan. Meanwhile, Peter visits his Aunt May in the hospital and is told that she needs a blood transfusion. He's worried that his radioactive blood would have an adverse effect on his aunt,and he is pressured into participating in the transfusion.
Later as Spider-Man, Peter busts some crooks working for the Big Man. When Jameson is on the scene, he demands that the police also arrest Spider-Man, because he suspects that Big Man and Spider-Man are the same character, and Spider-Man's aiding the law is just to throw the police off. Returning to the Bugle, he demands writer Frederick Foswell to say as much in the Bugle's paper. When Foswell reminds Jameson that when the last time the Bugle reported that Spider-Man was also doubling as a costumed villain (Electro), the Bugle ended up looking bad when it turned out to be false.
When Betty Brant gets off work, she is confronted by the Enforcers who are coming to collect a loan from her. Peter tries to get involved and allows the Enforcers to push him around not wishing to reveal his identity. When Peter tries to find out what was going on Betty flees.
Deciding to deal with the Enforcers and Big Man, Peter constructs a giant spider's web complete with a giant spider in order to scare a crook stool pigeon into revealing the location of Big Man's secret hideout.
His battle with the Enforcers ends with the Enforcers retreating. When Spider-Man sees J. Jonah Jameson on the scene, he begins to suspect that Jameson might be the Big Man. Peter later finds that Betty is not answering her phone, and later at the Bugle he learns that she has quit her job.
Peter decides to deal with the Big Man with a new plan: The next day at school, he starts bragging about how he's figured out the Big Man's secret identity hoping that word would get back to the Big Man. Sure enough, it does and the Big Man sends the Enforcers to capture Peter. Locked in a cell, Peter changes into Spider-Man and breaks out of his cell. He then battles Big Man, the Enforcers, and their hoods.
The Big Man escapes during the fight, but Spider-Man is more than convinced that Jameson is really the Big Man. Going to the Bugle building to expose Jameson, he finds Jameson yelling at Foswell about the story he wrote when the police burst in and reveal the Big Man is Foswell, who shows that he pulled off the identity with padded clothing that made him look bigger. After Foswell is taken away by the police, Jameson admits to himself that he hates Spider-Man because he represents everything that he is not. While Peter returns home to find that there is still no word from Betty Brant, Betty sits alone in a small town in Pennsylvania wishing there was some way she could get Spider-Man's help.
- This issue is reprinted in other comics and books, see references for more info.
- The story of the blood that Peter donates to his Aunt May will be revisited in Amazing Spider-Man #31-33.
- Written by: Smiling Stan Lee
- Illustrated by: Swinging Steve Ditko
- Lettered by: Sparkling Sam Rosen
- No trivia.
- The stories in Untold Tales of Spider-Man #5, Untold Tales of Spider-Man #6, Untold Tales of Spider-Man #7, and Untold Tales of Spider-Man chapter "After the First Death..." take place between the events depicted in this story.
- Frederick Foswell's daugher, Janice Foswell, appears as the Big Man in Marvel Team-Up #39.
Links and ReferencesEdit
- ↑ The "Enforcers" story is reprinted in the following comics/TPB's:
- Marvel Tales Vol 2 7
- Marvel Tales Vol 2 147
- Spider-Man Classics Vol 1 11
- Pocket Book Series Vol 1 Amazing Spider-Man 2
- Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol 1 1
- Epic Collection Vol 1 Amazing Spider-Man 1
- Essential Series Vol 1 Spider-Man 1
- Marvel Masterworks Amazing Spider-Man 1
- Spider-Man Collectible Series Vol 1 21
- Spider-Man Collectible Series Vol 1 22
|Like this? Let us know!|