Appearing in "To Save the Savage Land"Edit
- Karl Lykos
- Unnamed pterodactyls
- Unnamed dinosaurs
- City of the Sun-God
- Savage Land boat
Synopsis for "To Save the Savage Land"Edit
Continued from last issue...
With the construction of a massive citadel by the Sun-People threatening the ecosystem of the Savage Land, the X-Men have agreed to help Ka-Zar prevent the destruction of the land. As they approach the citadel, they are attacked by an army of Pterodactyl riders that are loyal to Garrok. During the fight, Cyclops, Colossus, Banshee and Ka-Zar are taken prisoner and carried away.
Wolverine convinces Zabu to follow him, Storm and Nightcrawler the rest of the way to the citadel. Sneaking inside through the lower levels where the citadels waste is stored, the uncaptured X-Men are attacked by small carnivorous dinosaurs until Storm sweeps them away with a gale wind. They manage their way to a giant hall of worship where Garrok and Zaladane have the captured X-Men tied to posts. They are attempting to execute Colossus first by having flames lit underneath him. As his organic metal body becomes red hot, Colossus wonders how much heat his body can withstand or if his skin can melt, when Storm and the others burst in and free them. During the fight, Garokk flees the scene with Cyclops in pursuit.
Chasing Garokk to the roof, Cyclops attempts to blast the supposed god with his optic blasts. Garrok matches his own eye beams against Cyclops and the two clashing forces cause the citadel to begin to crumble. As the base collapses, both Cyclops and Garrok fall down a shaft that leads to the center of the Earth, Cyclops is rescued by Banshee while Storm races after Garrok. However, he the combination of extreme heat and Storm's claustrophobia prevent her from saving Garrok and she flees the scene leaving Garrok to fall to his seeming death. As the last of a the fortress collapses, the other X-Men flee the scene and fear that they have lost Storm when she blasts herself free. Wolverine is the first to notice that she came back up alone and stops Banshee from going to see if she's all right.
Two weeks later after the weather in the Savage Land has returned to normal, the X-Men bid farewell to Ka-Zar and Karl Lykos, taking a boat out into the oceans surrounding Antartica on their trek back to the civilized world. As soon as they travel through the tunnel out of the Savage Land, they find themselves in the middle of a powerful and raging storm.
This story is continued next issue...
- This issue is reprinted in many other comics and books, see references for more info.
- This issue contains the first mention anywhere of Wolverine's healing factor and unbreakable bones: "I heal real fast! And the critter ain't been born that can break my bones."
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss X-Men Vol 1 116 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the X-Men series
- Images from X-Men Vol 1 116
Links and ReferencesEdit
- Uncanny X-Men series index at UncannyX-Men.Net
- The Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators - accessed on 05/31/2009
- The Official Marvel Index to the X-Men #6 - See for further referencing
- The Official Marvel Index to the X-Men Vol 2 #2 - See for further referencing
|Like this? Let us know!|