World War II, or the Second World War, was a worldwide conflict fought between the Allied and the Axis powers, from 1939 until 1945.
Pre-War: Early 1940s
- In the early 1940s, before the United States entered World War II, the Red Skull was particularly involved with subversive activities in the country. The United States government created the costumed persona of Captain America so that there would be a costumed counterpart to the Red Skull. It was in the United States, before America officially entered World War II, that the Red Skull had his first conflicts with Steve Rogers, the original Captain America, the man who became his principal and perennial nemesis.
- Captain America, his sidekick Bucky, the original android Human Torch, the Torch's sidekick Toro, and Namor the Sub-Mariner acted together to oppose the forces of Nazism. When these superheroes saved the life of Prime Minister Winston Churchill from Master Man, the thankful Churchill suggested that they should become a team, known as the Invaders. Later they were helped by other superheroes, the Liberty Legion.
- During the final days of the war, on or before April 18, 1945 - Captain America was trying to stop a bomb-loaded drone-plane launched by Nazi technician Baron Heinrich Zemo when the plane exploded, apparently killing his partner Bucky; and throwing Cap unhurt into icy Arctic waters. The Super-Soldier Formula prevented crystallization of Captain America's bodily fluids, allowing him to enter a state of suspended animation. He was later found and revived by the Avengers.
- On April 30, 1945 The Human Torch killed Adolf Hitler in self defense, in Hitler's bunker. Hitler's consciousness would survive in the form of the Hate-Monger.
- Magneto was incarcerated in the Auschwitz concentration camp. He meets his wife Magda there and escapes with her during its evacuation.
- Wolverine fights as a commando/special agent for the Canadian Army. He may have also been a spy for the Allied forces and it was recently revealed that he may have spent time in the Sobibor concentration camp.
- After the VJ-Day, some team members from the Invaders and from the Liberty Legion formed the new heroic group known as the All-Winners Squad.
- WWII was first time mentioned in Marvel Comics in Marvel Mystery Comics #2 text story, when the Angel (Thomas Halloway) battled against the Nazis in Grybow, Poland.
- Early issues of Fantastic Four # state that both Reed Richards and Ben Grimm fought in World War II. However based on Earth-616's Sliding Timescale these should be considered topical references as the stories were originally published in 1961. Current Marvel Handbooks generalize Ben Grimm to having served in the military, and all references to Reed being in the army are no longer referenced. However, both can be generalized to the fact that they served in the military and took part in military conflicts, just not ones dating back to World War II.
- No trivia.
- Pages referring to the "World War II" event
- Media World War II was Mentioned in
- Images showing "World War II"
- Event Gallery: World War II
Links and References
- Marvel Mystery Comics Vol 1
- Captain America Comics Vol 1
- Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos Vol 1
- Captain Savage Vol 1
- Combat Kelly and the Deadly Dozen Vol 1
- Human Torch Comics Vol 1
- Marvels Project Vol 1
- Sub-Mariner Comics Vol 1
- USA Vol 1
- All Winners Vol 1
- All-Select Comics Vol 1
- Young Allies Vol 1
- Mystic Comics Vol 1
- World War II at Wikipedia