A mailman for a small Midwestern town, Willie Lumpkin always dreamed of working for the U.S. Postal Service in a major metropolitan area. When his long-time girlfriend, Lila Brown, spurned him for the affections of his best friend, Charlie Boomer, Willie felt there was nothing left to stop him from pursuing his dream.
Willie moved to New York City where he maintained a steady mail route which included the Baxter Building. He worked the same standard beat for many years before the Fantastic Four moved to the top five floors of the complex. His life had become dreary and monotonous up until this point. The Fantastic Four's reputation as super heroic adventurers had preceded them, and Willie developed a good realtion with them. Once, when Willie met Reed Richards, leader of the Fantastic Four, he half-jokingly petitioned for membership on the grounds that he had the ability to wiggle his ears. Reed responded with equal humor and told Willie he would keep him in mind.
Although he was never invited to become a member, Willie has played unwitting roles in several of the Fantastic Four's adventures. Once he rang a certain bell in the Baxter Building's lobby which activated a fail-safe circuit breaker. This act allowed the Fantastic Four to escape the captivity of the Mad Thinker. Another time he spent Christmas eve locked in a reinforced closet while the Fantastic Four battled the Super-Skrull. Willie also accidentally activated Doctor Doom's time machine under the direction of the temporal super-villain called Tempus. Willie traveled backward to another dimension and began to play havoc with that dimension's space-time continuum. The Fantastic Four rescued him and the Watcher erased the events from his memory. 
Willie was also once impersonated by a Skrull who wanted to gain access to the Baxter Building.
Willie semi-retired, but still worked as a mailman on a part-time basis. He refused to enter full-retirement because he felt there were still many adventures to be had with the Fantastic Four. His nephew, Freddie, felt that Willie was too old to be living alone in Manhattan and wished to set him up in a nursing home. Willie's response to this decision remains to be seen.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
|Power Grid |
AbilitiesWillie Lumpkin can wiggle his ears.
Willie Lumpkin possesses the normal human strength level of a man his age, height, and build who engages in moderate regular exercise.
- Willie Lumpkin was played by Marvel legend Stan Lee in the 2005 movie, Fantastic Four.
- Willie Lumpkin was first created by Stan Lee and Dan DeCarlo for a newspaper strip, Willie Lumpkin, in 1960, as a fairly young man delivering the mail in Glenville, Nebraska. He was later made part of the Marvel Universe in Fantastic Four #11, and his backstory has since been elaborated on to include his newspaper appearances. They are not listed as his first appearance on this wiki as they were not originally published by Marvel.
- 50 Appearances of William Lumpkin (Earth-616)
- 4 Images featuring William Lumpkin (Earth-616)
- 1 Quotations by or about William Lumpkin (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: William Lumpkin (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: William Lumpkin (Earth-616)
- Marvel Directory
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|