|Real Name||Walter Newell|
|Relatives||Diane Arliss Newell (wife), Tiger Shark (Todd Arliss) (brother-in-law)|
|Affiliation||Formerly Doom's Avengers, Avengers, Secret Avengers, Deep Six, Defenders, Point Men (Hawaii Initiative), Avengers Support Crew|
|Base Of Operations||Formerly Hydrobase, Camp Hammond|
|Education||Doctorate in Oceanography|
|Origin||Wears battle suit|
|Place of Birth||Gloucester, Massachusetts|
|Creators||Roy Thomas, Bill Everett|
- 'The Avengers need Stingray,' Steve said. 'Time to swim with the big fish again.' Guess he didn't realize that I never left the pool. And I don't plan to anytime soon. Steve's right. The world needs heroes more than ever. And with dozens of Avengers back on active duty, things on land are pretty much covered. That leaves approximately two-thirds of the planet's surface left to protect. I think I can fit that in. After all, if a new day really is dawning, then the warmth of the sun's rays should be felt everywhere, even at -- the darkest depths.
- -- Stingray src
Walter Newell designed a unique suit for exploration. He took the name Stingray after basing some of its design on manta rays. He was ordered by Edgar Benton to bring Namor in to investigate the disappearance of water from Earth's oceans. Stingray reluctantly did so, but later allowed Namor to leave. It was during this time that he met his future wife, Diane Arliss, the sister of Tiger Shark and the two started dating.
Stingray joined the Avengers when they assisted him against the Lava Men. He and his wife became the caretakers of Hydro Base and offered the Avengers use of the facilities. Hydro Base was later destroyed.
He also assisted the Fantastic Four members damaged face Thing, Invisible Woman and Namor with help from Tiger Shark, Tamara Rahn and Psi-Lord (an alternate reality Franklin Richards).
Newell continued his research and occasionally still acted as Stingray. He was part of Captain America's Secret Avengers. After the surrender of Captain America, he registered and became one of the trainees at Camp Hammond.
In the wake of the World War Hate, Doctor Doom's personality was inverted, along with that of numerous heroes and villains. After having seen the errors of his ways, Doom planned to redeem himself.
After the Avengers disappeared, having being captured by the inverted and evil Avengers Unity Division, Doom tasked Valeria Richards with the mission to assemble a group of certain available heroes, including Stingray, each having specific skills which could be utilized.
The new Avengers assembled in Doctor Doom's Castle, and jumped into action when the now-evil Scarlet Witch arrived to Latveria to have revenge on Doom.
The Avengers fought the Scarlet Witch and saved villagers trapped in the crossfire. 3D man managed to get hold of the Witch and take her to a machine Doctor Doom had created to specifically canalize her abilities. Soon after being put into the machine, the Scarlet Witch escaped and set out to find Doom, leaving the Avengers behind. After condensing a portion of Scarlet Witch's powers into the device, Valeria informed the heroes their job was done.
- Stingray Suit: Newell uses specialized armor originally designed for underwater exploration. The suit can safely operate in depths up to 1200 feet. It has a unique oxygen diffusion system based on fish gills. The suit grants Newell superhuman strength and durability to handle underwater conditions. The suit is able to swim at high speeds underwater. Newell can also glide when not in water. Its main weapon is a potent electric blast.The suit also has an internal communication system.
- 126 Appearances of Walter Newell (Earth-616)
- Media Walter Newell (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 15 Images featuring Walter Newell (Earth-616)
- 2 Quotations by or about Walter Newell (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Walter Newell (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Walter Newell (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|