|Real Name||Walter Newell|
|Relatives||Diane Arliss Newell (wife), Tiger Shark (Todd Arliss) (brother-in-law)|
|Affiliation||Formerly Avengers, Secret Avengers (Civil War), Deep Six, Defenders, Point Men (Hawaii Initiative)|
|Base Of Operations||Hydrobase|
|Education||Doctorate in Oceanography|
|Origin||Wears battle suit|
|Place of Birth||Gloucester, Massachusetts|
|Creators||Roy Thomas, Bill Everett|
(as Walter Newell)(as Stingray)
- 'The Avengers need Stingray,' Steve said. 'Time to swim with the big fish again.' Guess he didn't realize that I never left the pool. And I don't plan to anytime soon. Steve's right. The world needs heroes more than ever. And with dozens of Avengers back on active duty, things on land are pretty much covered. That leaves approximately two-thirds of the planet's surface left to protect. I think I can fit that in. After all, if a new day really is dawning, then the warmth of the sun's rays should be felt everywhere, even at -- the darkest depths.
- -- Stingray src
Walter Newell designed a unique suit for exploration. He took the name Stingray after basing some of its design on manta rays. He was ordered by Edgar Benton to bring Namor in to investigate the disappearance of water from Earth's oceans. Stingray reluctantly did so, but later allowed Namor to leave. It was during this time that he met his future wife, Diane Arliss, the sister of Tiger Shark and the two started dating.
Stingray joined the Avengers when they assisted him against the Lava Men. He and his wife became the caretakers of Hydro Base and offered the Avengers use of the facilities. Hydro Base was later destroyed.
Newell continued his research and occasionally still acted as Stingray. He was part of Captain America's Secret Avengers. After the surrender of Captain America he registered and became one of the trainees at Camp Hammond.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Stingray uses an armor originally designed for underwater exploration. The suit can safely operate in depths up to 1200 feet. It has a unique oxygen diffusion system based on fish gills.
The suit grants Newell superhuman strength and durability to handle underwater conditions. The suit is able to swim at high speeds underwater. Newell can also glide when not in water. Its main weapon is a potent electric blast.
|Power Grid |
20 tons? Expresses surprise when Namor can lift a few dozen tons easily.
Stingray suit, which has an internal communication system
- 119 Appearances of Walter Newell (Earth-616)
- Media Walter Newell (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 13 Images featuring Walter Newell (Earth-616)
- 2 Quotations by or about Walter Newell (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Walter Newell (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Walter Newell (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ Iron Man #226
- ↑ during the Starblast crossover with the Namor comics
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z hardcover Vol. 11
|Like this? Let us know!|