Dr. Vincent Stegron was working as an assistant to Dr. Curtis Connors (the human alter-ego of the Lizard) on a project for SHIELD that used dinosaur tissue supplied by Ka-Zar from the Savage Land. Vincent became obsessed with the Lizard experiments and decided to steal (or "sssteal", in Stegron-speak) the dinosaur extract. He fled to the Savage Land and ingested the formula, turning himself into a Dinosaur Man.
Spider-Man travels to the Savage Land, teamed up with Ka-Zar and found Stegron in full reptile mode, ruling over the Swamp-Men. When Spidey and Ka-Zar beat up on his Swamp-Men, Stegron escaped to New York on a flying Ark. Stegron then led a stampede of dinosaurs down Broadway. He was stopped by Spider-Man and the Black Panther and tried to escape on a pterodactyl. Instead he was knocked into the water by Spider-Man and sank like a rock.
Stegron reduced his metabolism and eventually drifted to shore. He returned to Manhattan, kidnapped Billy Connors and forced Curt Connors to work for him. He created a "retro-generation ray" that animated the dinosaur skeletons at the Natural History museum. Under the strain of Billy's kidnapping, Curt Connors turned into the Lizard and went after Stegron. Unfortunately, Stegron chose December to start his plan and eventually succumbed to the cold weather. He slipeds under the ice on a Central Park lake and disappeared from sight.
Somehow Stegron survived, reverted to human form and became a homeless resident of the park. In the wrong place at the wrong time, he got hit by a stray shot from a Nuclear Blaster wielded by the Vulture and was changed back into the Dinosaur Man. He returned to the Museum of Natural History, with plans to create a race of dinosaur people but ended up in the midst of a struggle between Spider-Man and the "Lethal Foes", Doctor Octopus, the Vulture, the Rhino, the Beetle, Boomerang, the Answer, Swarm, Strikeback, and Hardshell. Stegron tried to steal the Nuclear Blaster to create his dinosaur army but instead got blasted into unconsciousness by Strikeback.
Now, growing more and more bestial, Stegron's only desire was to return to his home in the Savage Land. He stowed away on a supply ship bound for Antarctica and got into a SHIELD observation post where he began killing off scientists. Thunderstrike, the Black Panther and the Black Widow answered the distress call. 'Strike and the Panther released Stegron to the outside elements. The Dinosaur Man tried to make it to the Savage Land but came up just short, felled by the harsh cold of Antarctica.
NStegron fell into hibernation, frozen inside a glacier. He thawed and joined the Savage Land battle between Spider-Man, Ka-Zar, Shanna the She-Devil, and the Roxxon Oil Company. The Hulk and Chtylok the Che-k'n Kau arrived to complicate things further, Stegron opted for fighting on the side of the good guys against Roxxon, and walked off into the sunset at the end vowing, next time, to be everybody's enemy.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Dinosaur Physiology: After injected himself with a formula similar to the Lizard Formula, only with dinosaur DNA, Stegron transformed into an orange semi-humanoid Stegosaurus-like creature.
- Superhuman Strength: Stegron possesses superhuman strength, allowing him to lift up to 20-25 Tons.
- Superhuman Speed: Stegron possesses superhuman speed, he can run and move at speeds greater than that of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Agilty: Stegron's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of even the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Stamina: Stegron's advanced musculature produces considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of an ordinary human. He can physically exert himself at peak capacity for about 24 hours before fatigue begins to impair him.
- Superhuman Durability: Stegron's skin is very durable and is virtually bulletproof.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Stegron's reflexes are enhanced and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.
- Tail: Stegron has the thick scaly and spiked tail prehensile tail of a stegosaurus, which he can use as a weapon or to grasp items.
- Claws: Stegron's fingers are each tipped with razor sharp claws that, combined with his natural strength, are able to cut most conventional materials including flesh, bone, wood, stone, and some types of metals.
- Psionics: Stegron also has the mental ability to control or manipulate any dinosaur in an unknown area around him. Recently he has exhibited the power to control or manipulate the reptilian part of the brain in any life form.
|Power Grid |
AbilitiesConsidering he was Dr. Conner's assisstant and was able to modify the Lizard Formula, it's likely he
Strength levelCan lift/press up to 20-25 tons.
Like most reptiles, Stegron’s metabolism is slowed by cold, and will weaken him. In severe cold his body will, even involuntarily to him, shut itself down and go into a an hibernating state until he can thaw up again; this can even take several months without damaging him or he will change back into a human.
- 33 Appearances of Vincent Stegron (Earth-616)
- Media Vincent Stegron (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 6 Images featuring Vincent Stegron (Earth-616)
- 2 Quotations by or about Vincent Stegron (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Vincent Stegron (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Vincent Stegron (Earth-616)
- Amazing Spider-Man # 165
- Amazing Spider-Man # 166
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|