In 1987, McFarlane joined writer David Michelinie on Marvel's The Amazing Spider-Man. McFarlane changed the character's appearance, making him more spider-like with wiry limbs and large eyes. His interpretation would influence those of many subsequent Spider-Man artists. McFarlane also helped to create Venom, a wildly popular villain.
McFarlane's work on The Amazing Spider-Man turned him into an industry superstar. In 1990, Marvel launched a new monthly Spider-Man series, simply called Spider-Man, which McFarlane both wrote and illustrated. Spider-Man #1 sold 2.5 million copies, partially thanks to the variant covers that were used to encourage collectors into buying more than one edition. Spider-Man #1 is seen by many as the beginning of the comic speculation boom that lasted through the first years of the 1990s.
After a 29-issue run of Amazing Spider-Man, McFarlane told editor Jim Salicrup he would be leaving the book with issue 328 to write his own work. He'd grown tired of drawing other peoples stories. Jim offered Todd a new Spider-Man book to both write and draw. It was a massive success in sales until Jim was replaced by editor Danny Fingeroth with issue 16. McFarlane quit over a creative dispute with that very issue. McFarlane did issues 1-14, and 16. Most issues were crossovers with characters such as Wolverine, Ghost Rider, and X-Force.
- Comics where "Todd McFarlane" created the Cover
- Comics that "Todd McFarlane" Wrote
- Comics that "Todd McFarlane" Penciled
- Comics that "Todd McFarlane" Inked
- Comics that "Todd McFarlane" Colored
- Subjects created by "Todd McFarlane"
Images Attributed to Todd McFarlane
- Penciler images created under the name: "Todd McFarlane"
- Inker images created under the name: "Todd McFarlane"
- Cover artist images created under the name: "Todd McFarlane"
- No special notes.
- Todd McFarlane's work has won him numerous awards over the years, including a 1992 National Cartoonists Society Award for Best Comic Book.
Links and References
- Spawn.com features a biography and info about McFarlane's work
- press release on twist issue and latest on twist issue
- Todd McFarlane credits on Spider-Man
- Comic Book Awards Almanac
- Interview on SuicideGirls
- Interview with Todd McFarlane - CEO of McFarlane Toys at Dread Central
- Interview - Now Playing magazine