- It is thru my own humble prowess as a sumo wrestler that I attained the most exalted title which now graces my lowly name. But, now that I have seen your noble person, we need waste no more time! Guards! Take both Americans out -- and shoot them!
Appearing in "The Death of Tony Stark!"Edit
- Inspector Flint
Synopsis for "The Death of Tony Stark!"Edit
Pepper Potts and Happy Hogan, not trusting Iron Man (who they don't know is really their boss Tony Stark) hand in their resignations because they do not trust Iron Man and suspect that he's responsible for Tony's "disappearance". Soon the story attracts the attention of the media, and Happy himself decides to break into Tony's estate to find the truth. There he finds Tony (who just managed to slip into bed so Happy wouldn't see the Iron Man armor he is forced to wear) who tells him to totally trust Iron Man and not to worry about him.
With Happy and Pepper appeased, and the press sated, Iron Man is once more again able to try to find a way to cure his injured heart in peace. However, this peace doesn't last long as the Mandrarin, has just setup a satelite in space and uses it to destroy Stark's home. While Iron Man survives all watching believe that Tony Stark is killed in the explosion.
While Happy mourns Tony's "death", and Pepper attempts to get the police to go after Iron Man, the Golden Avenger himself is busy tracing the source of the blast.
Learning that it was the Mandarin, Iron Man flies to stop his arch-foe, only to be bombarded and weakened from blasts from the Mandarin's rings once he gets into close proximity of the Mandarin's base. Weakened he battles the Mandarin's robot guard Koto, who easily defeats Iron Man. The Mandarin then has Iron Man tied up and prepares to tell Iron Man the life story of the man who is about to destroy him, this story is continued next issue....
Appearing in "The Strength of Sumo!"Edit
- Sumo (General Wo) (First appearance)
- Viet Cong soldiers
- Jim Baker
- Cecil B. Demille (Mentioned)
- a MIG (a Soviet plane)
Synopsis for "The Strength of Sumo!"Edit
Captain America has traveled to Vietnam and launches a lone attack on an army of Viet Cong troops. After fighting armed guards to a standstill, Captain America tells the commanding officer that he is seeking to barter for the release of an American helicopter pilot that was captured.
After fighting off the majors two best men, Captain America is taken into the city where he is reunited with the pilot, named Jim Baker, whose brother helped Cap at an E.T.O. back in WWII. But this turns out to be a bit of a trap, as the major summons his general, a giant by the name of Sumo who matches his strength against Captain America.
After a quick battle, Captain America manages to defeat Sumo and he and Jim manage to escape the palace and steal a plane to fly back to the United States in.
- This issue contains a one page pin-up, "The Golden Avenger: Iron Man" a "Marvel Masterwork Pin-Up".
- Captain America story is reprinted in Captain America (Pocket Books), Giant-Size Captain America #1, and Essential Captain America #1.
- Iron Man last appeared in (Uncanny) X-Men #9; He appears next in Tales of Suspense #62 (Next Issue).
- The Mandarin last appeared in Tales of Suspense #55; He appears next in Tales of Suspense #62 (Next Issue).
- General Wo will appear next in Captain America #412.
- "Mails of Suspense" letters page includes letters from: Robert Lyle, Varian Waller, Jerry W. Pritchett, Pete Von Sholly, Jim Tapson, and George King.
- This issue also contains "The Mighty Marvel Checklist" and "A Bunch of Memos from the Ol' Bullpen" between pages 4 and 5.
- In this issue, Captain America goes to war torn Vietnam to rescue a friend. He will have no other involvement with the police action in Vietnam with the exception of a brief return in Captain America #125.
- This issue is reprinted in other comics and books, see references for more info.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Tales of Suspense Vol 1 61 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Tales of Suspense series
- Images from Tales of Suspense Vol 1 61
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|