The original Mk I Sentinels had been created by anti-mutant bigot Bolivar Trask, who finally understood that the mutants were not a threat and died to stop his own creation. However, Trask's son Larry erroneously blamed the X-Men for that, and decided to create Sentinels which would track and imprison the X-Men and other mutants.
Thus, Larry developed more advanced Sentinels, from the scratch or using his father's designs as a base (The "leader" of the Mk II, Number Two, was built from Bolivar's designs). Notably, the adaptability power was Trask's main triumph.
Larry always wore a medallion that had been given by his father. Larry ignored that he was a mutant, and the medallion served a purpose by hiding this to the Sentinels. Unfortunately, while the Sentinels were battling the X-Men, the medallion fell and the Sentinels discovered that Larry was a mutant. Deciding they would not obey a mutant, the Sentinels captured Larry and became free.
After the X-Men destroyed some Sentinels, X-Man Cyclops convinced the Sentinels that they should search and destroy the main cause of human mutation instead of mutants themselves. Number Two took the surviving Sentinels directly to the main source of mutogenic radiation on Earth: the sun.
While orbiting the sun, Number Two understood that they lacked firepower to destroy it. They decided to approach the problem differently. They returned to Earth with a new goal: Trying to provoke and control sun radiation, creating a sun-flare that would sterilize mankind. This would stop the birth of new mutants (and of new humans). The Sentinels would them create a new species that could not mutate.
Notably, the sun radiation caused mutations in Number Two, including the ability to kill humans to reach his goals. The Avengers fought the Mk II Sentinels and the remaining Sentinels were destroyed. Larry Trask also died in this operation.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Adaptability: The Mark II analyzed the powers or weapons used against them and, in a matter of seconds, developed specific ways to counteract it. That information was then communicated to all the other Sentinels. Developed counter-powers include:
- Energy Blast: The Mark II had an amount of different blasts, including but not limited to plasma, electrons, stunners and heat, that could be shot from their palms. They were also armed with a disintegrator that only worked with inorganic matter.
- Flight using jets built into their feet.
- Mutant Detection: The Sentinels constantly scanned all the living beings in the immediate surrounding area and were able to determine if they were humans or mutants. The range was slightly increased since Sentinels Mk I
- Remote Control: The Mark II Sentinels could be controlled by a human wearing a specific cybernetic helmet. This control decreased the fighting abilities of the Sentinels. Mutant have been proofed unable to use the helmet, although they still can mind-control a human to use it.
- Robot: Due to its nature, the sentinels were protected by the sheer strength of the hull. They could not be affected by emotional or mental attacks, nor by illusions. However, they were susceptible to attacks affecting machinery.
- Self-repair: The Mark II could recover lost health in only seconds.
- Teleportation: They could create teleportation gateways. This power has only been used by the model Number Two, which was a mutant himself.
Sentinels Mk II were able to lift up to 80 tons.
- Unlike their predecessors, the Mk II Sentinels were programmed to protect mankind, no matter the cost. Although they could kill mutants, they could never damage or kill a human. Number Two and other mutant Mk II Sentinels, however, override this bug.
- 8 Appearances of Sentinel Mk II (Earth-616)
- 4 Images featuring Sentinel Mk II (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Sentinel Mk II (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Sentinel Mk II (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Sentinel Mk II (Earth-616)
- Larry Trask
- Gamer's Handbook of the Marvel Universe
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|