|Real Name||Nils Styger|
Marcus Skarr (Kiwi Black) (paternal half-brother);
|Affiliation||X-Cell (partner of Fatale and Reaper); formerly ally of X-Corps, ally of Renee Majcomb; formerly Genoshan Mutates; "connected" to the Mutant Underground|
|Base Of Operations||Unlocated A.I.M. base, USA; formerly Brimstone Dimension; Mutant Town, New York; Genosha|
|Occupation||Adventurer; former test subject and bodyguard|
|Eyes||Yellow (No visible irises or pupils), formerly white, green, blue|
|Hair||Blue formerly black, brown|
|Skin||Black, formerly blue, green|
|Unusual Features||Formerly, his body appeared to be transparent but was actually a portal into a different dimension; He also had bio-metallic tendrils and tentacles|
|Origin||Depowered Neyaphem mutant/Genoshan Mutate;|
Repowered by Terrigenesis;
Depowered back by Terrance Hoffman
|Place of Birth||Genosha|
|Creators||Todd DeZago, Scott Clark|
At some point, the Genoshan Mutate Abyss contracted the debilitating Legacy Virus. He acted as a protector for the Genoshan research scientist Renee Majcomb, who was researching possible cures for the virus. When former Magistrates attacked Rene, he fought them off and nearly killed them until Cable's arrival. He was cured when Colossus triggered the cure for the Legacy Virus.
Abyss was later in Berlin, Germany battling the former Gene Nation member known as Fever Pitch. Both mutants were captured by Banshee's mutant militia known as the X-Corps. While being held by the X-Corps, Abyss witnessed Sunpyre's murder. When the terrorist Mystique revealed herself and her intentions to use the X-Corps, the wounded Banshee freed Abyss from his confinement. Abyss then sucked Mystique through his interdimensional void, and, unable to shut off his power, almost swallowed Banshee also. The timely arrival of some other members of X-Corps stopped that however. Abyss admitted that he had no idea where Mystique was transported to or if she would ever return.
Abyss later resurfaced when his father Azazel psychically summoned his many children to attempt to release him from the Brimstone Dimension that he had been banished to hundreds of years before. In an attempt to lose himself and his comrades, Azazel had traversed the dimension barrier many times and sired children in the hopes that one of them would be able to breach the dimensional barrier. Abyss joined forces with the X-Men to avert Azazel's attempt to bring his army into Earth's dimension and succeeded in foiling his father's efforts. He was subsequently revealed to be Nightcrawler's half-brother.
He joined the X-Cell, a terrorist group that blamed the government for M-Day.  and was given mechanical tentacles by The Isolationist, who also provided equipment to the other members of the team, that mimicked their lost powers.
As X-Factor Investigations' members Strong Guy and Wolsbane were heading to attack the X-Cell headquarters, he intervened, fighting with Guido before using his tentacles to send him blocs away, while Quicksilver took down Rahne.
Quicksilver gave him as well as the rest of X-Cell their powers back. Soon, X-Factor came for a final street brawl, and the group began falling apart, after their leader Elijah Cross lost control of his newly restored powers and exploded.
Abyss absorbed his unstable teammates Reaper and Fatale into his newly reformed brimstone dimension and jumped in as well, in order to prevent them from exploding in the street, also hoping that the Brimstone Dimension would stabilise or drain their powers.
Frozen and returned
The experience gave right to Abyss, as the time froze around them while they were in the dimension, preventing them to explode.
When Serval Industries X-Factor came to the base to free mutants (unknowing their identities) from A.I.M., Hoffman came to find Abyss and Reaper, to drag again their powers and power himself. Growing to giant-size and destroying part of the base, he accidentally freed them.
Once the battle was over, Abyss stayed silent but seemingly sided with Fatale and Reaper who were first intending to slain unconscious Hoffman then to kill Quicksilver, also part of X-Factor, as he was directly and indirectly responsible for their successive torments.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Powered, he was stated to be an Alpha Class mutant. His former powers included:
- Bio-Metallic Coils: his body is made up of bio-metallic coils, which are near impervious to damage. These coils can unravel, allowing him to control them telekinetically. These coils act like tendrils of metallic ribbon. They can grapple, constrict, bind, and otherwise make him very malleable and highly resistant to injury.
- Brimstone Dimensional Void: possesses an internal void to the Brimstone dimension. This void lies in the center of his chest and is usually covered up by the bio-metallic coils that make up his chest plate. The void when exposed acts like a black hole and sucks up everything in front or directly to the side of it. Those trapped in the internal void, have nothing but the darkness and the effects are disorienting at best, they are kept there until they die or until Abyss decides to release them. It is unknown how long someone can survive in this dimension.
- Teleportation: Abyss can teleport by transporting in through the Brimstone Dimension and out in to the normal world. It is currently unknown how skilled he is with this power as he has only used it on panel once.
- Psychic Tremor: Abyss is able to psionically interfere with the minds of others.
- Fear Absorption: Abyss has the power to absorb power from the fear of others around him as well as the power generated by the fear of those stuck in his internal void. Thus making him more powerful.
- Shape-shifting: Abyss is most likely a shape-shifter as in all his appearances, he has had a radically different likeness. This ranges from height, weight, skin color and eye color.
|Power Grid |
Average strength of someone one his age, build, height and weight and engages in intensive exercise.
- 20 Appearances of Nils Styger (Earth-616)
- Media Nils Styger (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 17 Images featuring Nils Styger (Earth-616)
- 1 Quotations by or about Nils Styger (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Nils Styger (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Nils Styger (Earth-616)
- Nils Styger (Earth-616) at Wikipedia.org
- Characters killed by Abyss
- uncannyxmen.net Character Profiles: Abyss
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #402
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #1
- ↑ New Avengers #18
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 X-Men: Messiah Complex - Mutant Files #1
- ↑ X-Factor Vol 3 #18- #19
- ↑ X-Factor Vol 3 #23
- ↑ X-Factor Vol 3 #19
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 X-Factor Vol 3 #20
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 All-New X-Factor #2
- ↑ All-New X-Factor #1
- ↑ X-Factor Vol 3 #20
- ↑ Cable #40
- ↑ Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z #1
|Like this? Let us know!|