- A new generation of mutants is emerging, that much is certain. They will be called freaks. Genetic monstrosities. [...] But they are emerging in the inner cities, in the suburbs, in the deserts and the jungles. And when they emerge, they will need teachers, people who can help them overcome their anger and show them how to use their strange gifts responsibly. They will need us.
Appearing in "E is for Extinction (Part 1)"Edit
- Ms. Nova (First appearance)
- Bolivar "Uncle Bolly" Trask (Mentioned)
- Neanderthals (Deaths) (Appears on a Computer Screen, TV or Hologram Only)
- Homo sapiens (Appears on a Computer Screen, TV or Hologram Only)
- U.S. Government (Mentioned)
- New York
- Columbia (Mentioned)
- Albuquerque (Mentioned)
- G73 helicopter
Synopsis for "E is for Extinction (Part 1)"Edit
In Sydney, Australia, Cyclops and Wolverine rescue a mutant known as Ugly John from a residual sentinel attack. On their way home in the X-Wing, they are connected to a telepathic conference by the Professor. He tells them that the all new mutant detector, Cerebra, has located an enormous mutant surge in Ecuador. The Professor asks them to make a quick turn and investigate the anomaly. Meanwhile, Beast presents Jean Grey with his advanced sub-basement clinic. She brings her worry over Charles to her teammate's attention but is suddenly distracted by a telepathic disturbance. Jean rushes to Cerebra, where she finds the Professor battling for dominance over his mind. The ordeal leaves Charles distraught and weakened.
At the same time, Cassandra Nova brings the mild-mannered dentist, Donald Trask into a virtual reality simulation of the early evolution of the human race. She explains that within four generations Homo Sapiens Sapiens will soon be extinct; to be replaced by Homo Sapiens Superior (mutants). (See Extinction Gene.) Back in reality, she brings him to a hidden Master Mold factory unit in the Ecuadorian drill. There they are accommodated by Wild Sentinels but the androids do not attack them because they recognize Donald's "Trask DNA." Cassandra says Trask's future now lies in genocide.
- Part 1 of 3 (story arc).
- First issue written by Grant Morrison. This and the following issues have the title changed from "X-Men" to "New X-Men". Not to be confused with the students of the Academy X also called New X-Men.
- This issue features the first appearance of the Beast's more bestial features which are the result of the Secondary Mutation that X-Treme X-Woman Sage perceived in X-Treme X-Men #3.
- Cyclops suggests that the Sentinel attack in Australia may have been from "rogue machines left over from the mutant witch hunts a few months back." 
- Beast and Logan notice some tension between the married couple Jean and Scott.
- The X-Men are wearing, for the first time, their paramilitary uniforms instead of their super-heroes costumes.
- This issue is also the first appearance of Ugly John, the Wild Sentinels and the mutant detector Cerebra.
- Even though Emma Frost is shown on the cover, she is not in this issue. She will later be shown, and later join the team of X-Men also.
- This issue is the first appearance of Cassandra Nova and Donald Trask, although neither of their first names are revealed in this issue.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss New X-Men Vol 1 114 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the New X-Men series
- Images from New X-Men Vol 1 114
Links and ReferencesEdit