- I was given these powers for a reason. You said it. And I sit here... scared of my dad... I'm scared of everything... And now look at what's happened!
- -- Miles Morales as src
After Norman Osborn was arrested by S.H.I.E.L.D, and publicly revealed as the Green Goblin, Osborn Industries was left abandoned. Nearly two months before Peter Parker's death, a thief broke into Osborn Industries. Unknown to the thief a spider genetically enhanced with the Oz formula crawled into his bag.
Miles Morales, a young kid from Brooklyn visited his uncle Aaron Davis against his parents' wishes, because of his criminal past, after being awarded the final spot in a charter school lottery. After being bitten by the Oz-enhanced spider, which emerged from Aaron's bag, Miles dicovered he recieved super-human abilities like camouflage, increased agility, and some sort of stunning blast. After revealing his newly found powers to his best friend, Ganke Lee, both ended in the conclusion he had power similar to Spider-Man's, including wall-crawling. But Miles reacted negatively, as he just wanted to be normal, deciding to leave the heroism to the actual Spider-Man.
Months later, Spider-Man, died saving his family from Osborn, Miles arrived late to the scene when he learned about the situation, being struck with grief over not being able to help Peter Parker before his untimely demise, Miles decided to follow Parker's philosophy that with great power comes great responsibility, and decided to continue Peter's legacy.
The New Spider-Man
During his first night as Spider-Man, Miles faced Kangaroo in a makeshift Spider-Man costume. Miles' next patrol was cut short when he was attacked by Spider-Woman who demanded to know who he was. After accidentally knocking himself out, Miles was held captive in a cell at the Triskelion, S.H.I.E.L.D.'s headquarters. There, he was interrogated by Nick Fury, and his origin revealed to them.
Electro woke up from a comma, which he was put during Parker's fight against Norman Osborn, in the Triskelion medical ward, and battled the Ultimates, Miles participation was crucial for the heroes victory, and he was rewarded with Spider-Woman's approval for Miles to be officially the new Spider-Man. The story of a new Spider-Man in New York made the headlines thanks to the Daily Bugle. In the following days Miles fought villains like Omega Red and the Ringer.
Miles' uncle Aaron discovered Miles was the new Spider-Man, as Miles discovered he was the Prowler thanks to Nick Fury. Aaron blackmailed him into revealing his secret to his parents if he didn't help him to defeat the new crime lord Scorpion.
Together they went to fight the Scorpion. After defeating Scorpion, Miles handed him to the police which resulted in him almost being arrested. When Miles refused to help his Uncle again, Aaron unveiled his latest toy, a Vulture suit. Realizing his Uncle intended to use him as his personal enforcer, Miles realized it was time to face Aaron. The two fought a catastrophic battle in which Aaron utilized vibro-shock gauntlets, one of them was damaged in battled, which later caused it to short cut and exploded, killing him.
In an unusual turn of events, Miles accidentally encountered the Spider-Man of an alternate universe. Because Peter Parker was dead in his world and there was confusion between the two, they began to fight. Peter unmasked Miles and demanded answers. However, Miles managed to knock out Peter with his Venom Strike. Unsure what to do with him, Miles brought Peter to S.H.I.E.L.D. to sort things out. At the Triskelion, Fury learned that this Peter Parker was from another world entirely. Suspecting there might be trouble in a dimensional incursion, he wanted to have Miles fill Peter in on what happened to that world's Peter Parker.
However, the conversation was cut short when Mysterio appeared to attack both Spider-Men by shooting their helicoptor ride out of the sky with a RPG. Miles and Peter battled against Mysterio, who conjured up illusions of their greatest rogues in order to subdue them. Mysterio managed to escape the battle, leaving the two Spider-Men to come up with another plan of attack. Miles was present when Peter reunited with the Aunt May and Gwen Stacy counterparts of his universe, touched by the tender moment between them.
Miles and Peter were soon called away by Nick Fury to fight Mysterio again. Although they expected Mysterio to be defeated, the magician quickly resorted to a back-up plan: using the heroes's greatest fears against them. Miles's particular fear was the sight of his Uncle Aaron standing over his dead parents, having murdered them both. However, the heroes managed to overcome Mysterio's illusions and defeat him. While Mysterio was kept within the S.H.I.E.L.D. custody of Miles's universe, Peter spoke to him about his role as the new Spider-Man, saying that he was genuinely satisfied with it.
Divided We Fall, United We Stand
Miles was secretly approached by Gwen Stacy and Aunt May, who tried to give him Peter Parker's original web shooters to help him, Captain America followed them and tried to make Miles abandon the mantle of Spider-Man. After Miles helped Captain America to defeat the R.H.I.N.O., he agreed to let him be Spider-Man, but with the need of better training. In order to improve, Miles joined the Ultimates in the wake of a civil war, in which Captain America was elected president to help unite the splintered factions of the US.
Miles was present during the battle for Wyoming and Project Pegasus against the revolutionists terrorists Hydra, in which Spider-Woman was forced to team-up with him. In the end, the heroes were victors.
But during the battle, Miles managed to board one of the War Machine androids hovering in the skies and accidentally struck him right into Giant-Woman, and was abandoned in a wasteland away from the battle. He began walking until he encountered Giant-Woman, and had to battle her as she was still under the mind-control of Modi, the leader of the revolution and son of Thor. After she was knocked unconscious, a hummer with Spider-Woman searching for Miles arrived the scene, who helped him to return home.
During the civil war, Miles father, Jefferson, fought Hydra soldiers, which caught the attention of the press and tried to interview him. Jefferson was later attacked by Venom, who days later followed Betty Brant's investigation to incorrectly suspect Jefferson was the new Spider-Man. Miles, as Spider-Man, managed to rescue his father, as the creature later escaped.
After the battle with Venom, Miles begins to feel like its his fault that Venom attacked his father. Ganke manages to convince him that they can stop Venom before it happens again, but are unable to think how until Mary Jane and Gwen show up. After a long discussion about Venom Maria Hill shows up revealing she knows the truth about Miles and tells him he should stop before someone else gets hurt. Mary Jane and Gwen then force her to leave after the discussion.
Miles goes outside to confront Maria, but is stopped when an officer receives word that Venom is attacking the hospital Miles' parents are at. Miles then leaves for the hospital to confront Venom. Miles arrives and begins to fight Venom by utilizing his venom blast. Venom manages to gain the upper hand and grabs Miles, but he is saved after his mom starts shooting Venom. Miles tells her to escape, but she refuses.
Miles then gets grabbed by Venom again and is nearly consumed when Miles' Mother reveals that Miles is her son. Venom then proceeds to consume her as well until Miles uses his venom blast on the inside of Venom causing it to be removed from its host. The Police then show up and shoot Venom's host and the remains of the Symbiote. Miles moves his mother to safety, but soon finds out she is dying. He begins to scream for a doctor, but his mother stops him telling him she is proud and to never tell his dad. She then dies in Miles arms leaving him shocked and angry.
Miles later wakes up to find himself at Ganke's house. Miles them runs into the room he was and begins to rip up his costume screaming "No More!" repeatedly.
Spider-Man No More
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Superhuman Strength: Miles possesses Superhuman strength, able to cause harm to a Super Powered individual with a single punch. His physical strength also extends into his legs, enabling him to be able to jump to a height of several stories in a single bound. The upper limits of his strength are still unknown.
- Superhuman Durability: Miles' body is physically tougher and more resistant to some types of injury than the body of a normal human. His body is also more resistant to impact forces than most humans. He can withstand great impacts, such as being thrown through a plate-glass window, that would severely injure or kill a normal human.
- Superhuman Agility: Miles' agility, balance, flexibility and bodily coordination are all enhanced to levels that are far beyond the natural physical limits of an olympic-level gymnast.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Spider-Man's reflexes are similarly enhanced and are currently about 15 times greater than those of an ordinary human. In combination with his spider-sense, the speed of his reflexes allows him to dodge almost any attack.
- Wall-Crawling: Miles can cling to any surface using just his fingertips and feet. The extent to how much pressure he can stick to walls is thus far unknown, except that he can handle lifting his own weight.
- Spider-Sense: When danger is present, Miles feels a buzzing sensation in his head as a sort of early warning system, allowing him to react accordingly. His Spider-Sense seems to be greatly enhanced compared to that of Peter Parker. One example occurs the night that Peter is killed; Miles dreamed that he, himself, was being attacked by Electro, when, at the same time, the real Electro was preparing to hunt and murder Peter Parker many miles away. This suggests that Miles' ability may be borderline precognitive, as opposed to only warning of immediate danger. Unfortunately as of yet, he's not completely aware of the nature of this power. Miles is starting to figure out that "the buzzing" may be attempting to inform him of incoming danger, but again, he is unable as of yet to use it to his advantage like Peter could.
- Venom Blast: Miles can temporarily paralyze his enemies by simply touching them with his hands. It seems that there are varying degrees to this ability as some opponents have been simply dazed where others have been completely incapacitated. This power provides a great advantage as Miles can end a confrontation quickly with little collateral damage.
- Spider-Camouflage: Miles, including his clothing, can blend into his surroundings, allowing him to sneak up on his enemies or, in some cases, flee from them. The resulting effect closely resembles that of invisibility.
Due to his relatively short time as Spider-Man, Miles biggest weakness is his inexperience in being a costumed crime-fighter. He still is not completely sure what his powers make him capable of and this handicaps his effectiveness because of this.
Although he is very bright and seemingly mature for a 13 year-old, his age and lack of real world experiences is sometimes an obstacle in understanding the gravity of the situations around him. Miles has poor combat skills relying on his reflexes and as he his said himself: luck.
He has had no combat training beyond what he has learned from watching videos of Peter Parker in action and his own experimentation with his powers. This leads to him making tactical mistakes in fights, such as when he leaped into the center of a group of common thugs and was promptly floored with a punch to the face.
- Web-Shooters: Originally created and used by Peter Parker, Aunt May gave Peter's web-shooters to Miles.
- Check out Miles Morales (Earth-1610)/Expanded History for a fully detailed account of Miles' history.
- Miles' father is African-American and his mother is Puerto Rican.
- Miles was born and raised in Brooklyn and has a aptitude for science much like his predecessor, Peter Parker, but as shown later on, his powers differ from Peter's such as his Spider-Camouflage and Venom Strike.
- Timeline established by Brian Bendis via Comic Book Resources.
- When Peter Parker returned to his world after the Spider-Men's adventure, he was seen running an online search to see if his world had a Miles Morales counterpart, and seems to be shocked by what he discovered on the net. Nothing of what was that was revealed since then.
- Miles became Spider-Man when he was thirteen, but his predecessor Peter Parker took up the mask when he was fifteen.
- Miles' black and red costume appears as an alternate costume in the game, Spider-Man Edge Of Time, for his predecessor's Mainstream counterpart.
- Miles in his brand new costume appears as a playable character in the online game Marvel Super Hero Squad Online, in which he was voiced by Alimi Ballard.
- Miles' parents names were revealed in the letter page of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #8.
- Miles last name is Morales which is his mother's last name and not his father's last name, which is Davis.
- Miles defeats Peter Parker (The Amazing Spider-Man) when they first interacted with each other. However, this was due to beginner's luck as Peter was confused and unaware of Miles' Venom Strike being able to conduct through his webbing. In terms of combat experience, Peter is a seasoned veteran.
- Miles, unlike Peter, wears his web-shooters on the outside of his costume.
- Mile's greatest fear is that his secret identity could cause the death of his family.
- 34 Appearances of Miles Morales (Earth-1610)
- 63 Images featuring Miles Morales (Earth-1610)
- 12 Quotations by or about Miles Morales (Earth-1610)
- Character Gallery: Miles Morales (Earth-1610)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Miles Morales (Earth-1610)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: