A former wrestler for the Unlimited Class Wrestling Federation, Lemar was recruited to serve as a 'Bold Urban Commando', one of the sidekicks of the costumed political agitator John Walker, who was then known as the Super-Patriot. Supporting the Super-Patriot, they would conduct staged attacks as well as use intimidation tactics on foreigners, falsely accusing them of being terrorists, in order to whip up publicity for the Super-Patriot.
When Walker became Captain America, he asked that the BUCs continue to work with him. The pasts of the other two BUCs, however, meant they were not deemed suitable to work for the government. As a result, only Hoskins was selected to serve alongside the new Captain America as Bucky. However, Hoskins was later told that the term '"Bucky"' was demeaning to African-Americans, and was convinced to change his name to Battlestar. After the original Captain America returned, Battlestar returned to Chicago, his hometown. The other two BUCs went on to become the supervillains the Left-Winger and the Right-Winger, who were later responsible for the death of Walker's parents.
He was later recruited by A.R.M.O.R to prevent an alternate reality invasion.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
After undergoing the Power Broker's treatment, Battlestar gained various superhuman physical attributes.
Superhuman Strength: The Power Broker's treatment process supplemented and augmented Battlestar's musculature, granting him superhuman strength. At his peak, he is capable of lifting about 10 tons.
Superhuman Speed: Battlestar can run and move at speeds that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
Superhuman Stamina: Battlestar's augmented and superior musculature produces considerably less fatigue toxins during physical activity than the musculature of a normal human. At his peak, he can exert himself for about 24 hours before the build up of fatigue toxins in his blood begins to impair him.
Superhuman Durability: Battlestar's bodily tissues have been fortified by the Power Broker's treatment, making them much harder and more resistant to physical injury than the body of a normal human. He can resist penetration from high caliber bullets and sharp bladed weapons, exposure to temperature extremes, powerful impact forces, corrosive materials, and falls from great heights without being injured.
Superhuman Agility: Battlestar's agility, balance, and bodily coordination have been augmented to levels that are beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete by the Power Broker's treatment.
Superhuman Reflexes: His reflexes are similarly enhanced and are superior to those of the finest human athlete.
|Power Grid |
AbilitiesBattlestar is an excellent hand to hand combatant, having been trained by the Taskmaster to fight in the style that Captain America adopted and used. Battlestar also became accomplished in acrobatics and gymnastics while under the Taskmaster's tutelage.
No known weaknesses
Battlestar carries and uses a triangular shield forged of Adamantium, meaning that it's practically indestructible.
- Battlestar's name change came about due to African-American fans writing to Marvel and telling them that Buck or Bucky was considered a derogatory term among blacks. Mark Gruenwald, who hadn't known this, worked it into the plot and gave Hoskins his new name, thus deepening the character.
- In his early appearances, despite a hitch in the U.S. Army, Lemar Hoskins was portrayed as functionally illiterate. His learning to read and bettering his education was to be a major part of his growth as a character, but later writers quickly brushed this aspect under the rug.
- 88 Appearances of Lemar Hoskins (Earth-616)
- Media Lemar Hoskins (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 6 Images featuring Lemar Hoskins (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Lemar Hoskins (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Lemar Hoskins (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Lemar Hoskins (Earth-616)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|