|Real Name||Kamala Khan|
|Current Alias||Ms. Marvel|
|Aliases||Captain Marvel, "Bendy Girl", "Giant Girl",|
|Relatives||Jusuf Khan (father),|
Disha Khan (mother),
|Base Of Operations||Circle Q & Khan Family Residence, Jersey City, New Jersey|
|Origin||Human with latent Inhuman lineage activated by the Terrigen Bomb|
|Place of Birth||Jersey City, New Jersey|
|Creators||Sana Amanat, Stephen Wacker, G. Willow Wilson|
- Fabulous. Now I'm in trouble, too. This has to have happened for a reason. I saved one life, Does it stop there or do I go on? Maybe this is what I've been waiting for. Maybe I'm finally part of something... bigger.
- -- Kamala Khan src
Kamala Khan was a Pakistani-American born in Jersey City after her parents moved from Karachi, Pakistan. Though respectful of her heritage, Kamala always felt different; she had nerdy interests, strict parents, and did not meet the white Eurocentric standards of beauty.
One night, Kamala snuck out of her house against her parents' wishes to attend a party on the Jersey Waterfront, only to be teased and ostracized by her classmates Zoe Zimmer and Josh. As Kamala walked home in anger and disappointment, Jersey City was suddenly enveloped in the Terrigen Mists, which had been released by the hand of the Inhuman king Black Bolt, and Kamala fell unconscious from exposure.
As her Terrigenesis began due to her Inhuman lineage, Kamala was presented with a vision of Carol Danvers chastising her for disobeying her parents and asking her what she wanted in life, to which she replied "I want to be you." Once the vision faded, Kamala woke up and broke out of her Terrigenesis cocoon wearing a replica of Danvers' previous Ms. Marvel costume as part of her subconscious desire.
Shocked and scared at the sudden change, Kamala's body repeatedly altered itself as her mind and body struggled to gain control over her newly-developed shapeshifting powers. When she saw Zoe fall into the river while trying to keep a drunken Josh off of her, however, Kamala (still in the Ms. Marvel form) instinctively came to her rescue by enlarging her hand to pull her out of the water. As Kamala returned home, she realized that merely looking like her idol was not what she wanted at all, but also that rescuing Zoe made her feel happy. After returning home, she was grounded by her angry parents, as her friend Bruno had told them that she escaped to the party.
A few days later, Kamala went to visit Bruno at his work and clear the air with her friend, but she instead found him dealing with a thief trying to rob the place. Kamala morphed into Captain Marvel and stopped the thief by squashing him, only to be shot as he escaped.
Unconsciously morphing back to her normal self as her body healed, Kamala told Bruno about what had happened to her and asked about the robber. Bruno told her that his brother Vick had gotten involved with someone called "The Inventor" and was robbing money for him. Wearing a swimming burkini and mask, Kamala traced Vick's escape to an abandoned house in Greenville, where he was tied up in the basement by The Inventor's subordinate Doyle as punishment for his botched heist.
Kamala's initial rescue attempt failed as she was overpowered by Doyle and his army of robot spiders, and her escape to her home was met by her upset parents. After being told by her father that she was born when her mother was believed unable to conceive children and thus was considered to be special, Kamala took it to heart and spent the next day with Bruno developing her powers and making a costume. She later went back to successfully rescue Vick from Doyle. Though she earned The Inventor's wrath for her actions, Kamala swore that she would protect Jersey City from him as Ms. Marvel.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Morphogenitics: Kamala can stretch, deform, expand, or compress her entire body or parts thereof into any contiguous shape she can imagine for a variety of uses:
- Elongation: Kamala can extend her limbs, torso, or neck to great distances.
- Size Alteration: Kamala possesses the power to increase (or "enlarge") and decrease her size. This size alteration can be systemic (i.e. changing the size of her entire body) or isolated (i.e. increasing the size of her fist during hand-to-hand combat or elongating her legs to travel a long distance quickly).
- Appearance Alteration (formerly): Kamala possesses the power to alter her physical appearance including her hair and clothing, and could even alter her appearance to enough to mimic inanimate objects. However, Ms. Marvel recently discovered she has lost this ability due to her healing factor reducing the elasticity of her cells.
- Healing Factor: Kamala is capable of rapidly healing from injuries such as bullet wounds. However, use of her other powers interrupts the healing process, requiring Kamala to maintain her normal appearance while recovering. Extensive healing also leaves Kamala heavily-fatigued and hungry. However, it appears the more she utilizes her healing ability, the less malleable her cells become, which prevents her from using the full range of her morphogenic abilities.
- Bioluminescence: Kamala's body emits a glowing yellow energy signature when using her morphogenic powers.
- Biokinetic Polymer Suit: Invented Bruno as part of his scholarship application to Rutgers, when the polymer (or "super snot") is applied to a flexible substance, the substance becomes extremely malleable. The increase elasticity allows Ms. Marvel to focus less on transforming her clothing during her metamorphoses. Unfortunately, the suit is highly susceptible to damage by exposure to water.
- Kamala is a student enrolled at Coles Academic High School in Jersey City.
- Kamala writes Avengers fanfic.
- Kamala appeared multiple times prior to the launch of her own title:
- In Captain Marvel Vol 7 #14, Kamala made a brief appearance as one of the civilians rescued by Captain Marvel during a Kree attack.
- In Captain Marvel Vol 7 #17, Kamala again briefly appeared hanging a Captain Marvel poster in her bedroom.
- In All-New Marvel NOW! Point One #1.NOW, Kamala first appears as Ms. Marvel. However, chronologically this story occurs sometime after Ms. Marvel Vol 3 #5.
- In Marvel 75th Anniversary Celebration #1, a preadolescent Kamala is seen playing with Marvel hero themed toys.
- Kamala "is totally ships Spider-Marvel", meaning she is a fan of Spider-Man (Peter Parker) and Carol Danvers in a possible romantic relationship.
- At the time of her first appearance, Kamala is sixteen-years-old.
- In Arabic, Kamal means "perfection". Kamala's parents gave her this because they believed they could not conceive another child.
- 21 Appearances of Kamala Khan (Earth-616)
- Media Kamala Khan (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 71 Images featuring Kamala Khan (Earth-616)
- 7 Quotations by or about Kamala Khan (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Kamala Khan (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Kamala Khan (Earth-616)
- Marvel Comics Introducing a Muslim Girl Superhero - NYTimes.com
- All-New Marvel NOW! Q&A: Ms. Marvel - Marvel.com
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Ms. Marvel Vol 3 #1
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Ms. Marvel Vol 3 #6
- ↑ Captain Marvel Vol 7 #17
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Ms. Marvel Vol 3 #2
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Ms. Marvel Vol 3 #3
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Ms. Marvel Vol 3 #4
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 Ms. Marvel Vol 3 #5
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Ms. Marvel Vol 3 #8- #9
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 All-New Marvel NOW! Point One #1.NOW
- ↑ Ms. Marvel Vol 3 #9
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Amazing Spider-Man Vol 3 #7
|Like this? Let us know!|