- I've been bitten by a radioactive cobra??!!
Appearing in "Challenged by the Human Cobra"Edit
- Cobra (Klaus Voorhees) (First appearance)
- Dr. Bruce Andrews
- Professor Shecktor (Death)
- Mjolnir - Thor's Enchanted Hammer
Synopsis for "Challenged by the Human Cobra"Edit
An angry Thor rampages through Blake's office, upset that his nurse Jane Foster (whom he loves) has left him for another doctor, Dr Bruce Andrews. Suddenly he is summoned to Asgard by his father Odin who orders him to abandon his feelings for the mortal nurse, only to have Thor leave in anger. Back on earth, in his human form as Blake, he decides go to India where he can forget Jane.
In India, an old friend Professor Shecktor is working on a cure for snake bites. His assistant, Klaus Vorhees, decides to kill the professor and steal his discoveries. His plans to allow a cobra to bite them both, but only give himself the cure.
Blake hears about Shecktor's injure and, as Thor, rushes to his side. Too late to save the Professor, he learns that the snake which bite them was radioactive, and Klaus has been transformed into a human cobra. Creating a typhoon with his hammer, Thor carries himself back to the USA following the Cobra.
The Cobra has invaded a factory, and is trying to force the owners to mass produce his cobra serum. Thor arrives and they battle. The Cobra manages to escape the factory and breaks into Dr Andrews office. Andrews is afraid and refuses to stand up to the villain. After calling him a coward, Jane signals Thor. The Cobra seizes her and uses her as a hostage against Thor so he can escape out an office window.
As the Cobra flees, Thor uses his hammer to fly around the building and ambush the Cobra on the other side. The Cobra drops Jane, and as Thor rushes to her rescue, the Cobra makes his escape.
Returning to Dr Andrews office, Jane immediately resigns and goes back to Dr Blake, who welcomes her back as his nurse. While the Cobra is already plotting new evil deeds.
Appearing in "Tales of Asgard: Odin Battles Ymir, King of the Ice Giants"Edit
Synopsis for "Tales of Asgard: Odin Battles Ymir, King of the Ice Giants"Edit
War has erupted between the Asgardians and the Ice Giants. Odin joins the battle in his flying chariot. His Meteor Bolts began to drive back the Giants, until a unison of Ice Giants produces a frozen wind that down the chariot.
Grounded, Odin strike the earth with his sword and causes a great chasm which devours all but the mightiest of the giant, their king Ymir. He attacks Odin, and the Asgardian god appears to flee. But he actually is luring to Ymir to a specific spot. Then one blow from Odin's sword causes a circle of volcanic flame to imprison the Ice Giant in an eternal trap.
Then Odin returns to his throne in Asgard.
Appearing in "The Purple Planet"Edit
Synopsis for "The Purple Planet"Edit
- Synopsis not yet written.
- This is the first issue of Thor drawn by Don Heck, though he had inked the previous issue. Jack Kirby remains on the Tales of Asgard
- First appearance of Cobra. As Spider-Man gained his powers from being bitten by a radioactive spider, Cobra gained his by being bitten by a radioactive cobra.
- The Thor story is reprinted in Essential Thor 1, Marvel Masterworks: Mighty Thor 1, Marvel Tales Annual 12
- The Tales of Asgard story is reprinted in Thor:Tales of Asgard #1
- On Page 13, panel 7 of the Thor story, Jane's air bubble isn't pointing to Jane.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Journey into Mystery Vol 1 98 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Journey into Mystery series
- Images from Journey into Mystery Vol 1 98
- Cobra will appear next in Journey Into Mystery #105.
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|