Jane Foster was traveling in a van with her colleague Erik Selvig, and her assistant Darcy, when the mysterious weather event subject of Foster's research unexpectedly resulted in a powerful vortex before them.
As they struggled with the zero-visibility conditions, the van collided with a man who had stumbled out of the dust into their path. The man, who only announced himself as Thor, was injured again when Lewis tazered him, prompting them to take him to hospital. These events transpired in Puente Antiguo, New Mexico.
The following day, Darcy made a surprise discovery when she noticed the figure of a man in one of the photographic images captured from the atmospheric event. While Jane realized that the newcomer might be able to shed some light on the event, Selvig was more skeptical. So began a lengthy disagreement between the two, with Foster theorising about the possibility of an Einstein-Rosen Bridge and Selvig insisting that everything Thor had been saying about gods and other worlds was nothing more than delusional talk based on old myths.
Despite Selvig's concerns, Jane's interest in Thor pushed her to find out out more and the trio set off for the hospital to find the stranger. Once they were reunited, the trio and Thor went to a local diner where Jane pressed for more information, trying to make sense of what he was telling them. It was there that Thor overheard news of his missing hammer and set off on his own to retrieve it. Returning home, Jane and her colleagues found S.H.I.E.L.D. agents confiscating their equipment.
After commiserating with her colleagues over the loss of their property, Jane chanced upon Thor again and volunteered to assist him with reacquiring his hammer. This goal proved unsuccessful when Thor, stealing into the temporary S.H.I.E.L.D. compound that had sprung up around the artifact, found himself unable to lift it and allowed himself to be caught.
Jane enlisted Erik in helping her get Thor released, which led to a series of events that bonded the expanded group more closely, Selvig befriending the man and Foster starting to view him as a romantic interest as he offered his own insights into her theories and returned an important piece of Jane's confiscated property: her journal. Selvig reveals to Thor that he is a father figure to Jane, having taught with her father at university. He refers to Jane's father in the past tense.
Thor and Jane's time together was cut short when first several of Thor's friend's from Asgard arrived to take him home, and then the Destroyer arrived to kill him.
Thor ultimately beat The Destroyer, regaining his hammer and his full power in the process. Jane could see what he really was for the first time, but with the return of Thor's power came the return of his responsibility to his realm and his people. Thor insisted that Coulson return Jane's property to her, and Coulson agreed, also offering her a job.
She initiated a kiss with the God of Thunder just before he returned to his home. Jane then returned to her research into the Einstein-Rosen Bridge, searching for a way to be reunited with Thor.
When Loki returned to Earth, Agent Coulson, aware of her relationship with Thor, had her and Darcy relocated to an observatory in Tromsø, Norway, away from anywhere that Loki might visit during his invasion. She witnessed Thor fighting with the other Avengers during the Battle of New York on television, but was unable to make contact with him before he had to return to Asgard.
Around a year after the battle, Jane was living in London continuing her research on wormholes, trying to move on from Thor in the belief that he had left her. However, as the Convergence- a time when the barriers between the nine worlds would be particularly thin- began, Jane and Darcy discovered various gravitational anomalies in an abandoned warehouse, resulting in Jane falling into a rift that led her to the Aether, returning to Earth just as Thor arrived to investigate her disappearance from Heimdall's vision.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Above average intellect: astrophysics, demonstrated interdisciplinary thinking and methodology
While possessed by the Aether, Jane briefly developed the ability to generate a burst of energy that repelled any attempt at direct contact that would be potentially hostile towards her; however, this ability was generated by the Aether to protect itself rather than to protect Jane. She lost it when the Aether was extracted by Malekith.
EquipmentMagnetometer, spectral imaging equipment
Pinzgauer van equipped with an extensive suite of scanning equipment.
- Natalie Portman portrays Jane Foster in Thor and Thor: The Dark World.
- Jane Foster did not make an appearance in Marvel's The Avengers due to Natalie Portman's pregnancy and subsequent maternity leave, although her image was briefly displayed when her whereabouts were reported to Thor, with Phil Coulson assuring Thor that she was in protective custody and safe from Loki.
- In a deleted scene Jane uses Stark Technology to display a projection of Yggdrasill, sending a beam of light through the cosmos and to Asgard, where it is then seen by Heimdall and Thor.
- According to the Thor movie website, Jane has a doctorate in particle physics and is conducting postdoctoral research at the time of the first film. Her ID (seen in the movie, but also distributed as bonus material in the Phase 1 DVD set) identifies her as affiliated with "Physics/Astrophysics Research Department, Culver University Science Center, Experimental Particle Physics." However, she is never referred to as a doctor in Thor.
- 8 Appearances of Jane Foster (Earth-199999)
- 3 Images featuring Jane Foster (Earth-199999)
- Quotations by or about Jane Foster (Earth-199999)
- Character Gallery: Jane Foster (Earth-199999)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Jane Foster (Earth-199999)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|