The third and most powerful of the first suits created by Tony. The Mark III armor was designed and created by Tony Stark after he discovered both the Mark II's icing flaw as well as a short in its power source. It was first used when Stark decided to eliminate the terrorist cell, and his former captors, the Ten Rings. This armor was stored in Stark's Iron Man armor display after a new suit was created when MK III was heavily damaged in a battle against the Iron Monger.
The armor was destroyed along with the original Hall of Armor when Stark's Malibu Mansion was attacked by A.I.M., but was later rebuilt along with the rest of the suits at the time A.I.M. resurfaced under the leadership of M.O.D.O.K.. It was the first suit Tony resorted to when his MK XLII was heavily damaged.
Like every previous Iron Man Armor, this suit is powered by a miniaturized arc reactor. It features even more articulation and sleekness of design than the Mark II armor, as well as a gold-titanium alloy shell (the same used in a Stark Industries satellite 'Seraphim' to improve out-of-atmosphere reliability) and an upgraded power generation unit.
It makes the wearer extraordinarily strong, and resistant to damage even from tank shells and rockets. Equipped with two palm repulsors used for flight control, melee and long distance weapons. Also equipped with an array of missiles with a targeting system run by J.A.R.V.I.S.. A Head-Up Display, also run by J.A.R.V.I.S., includes the A.I.'s monitoring capabilities and observational protocol, a Global Positioning System, target scanning, and displays for navigation, power level, and vital signs.
- This armor was created by Marvel Comics artist Adi Granov (known for illustrating Iron Man: Extremis) and Phil Saunders.. Miles Steve sculpted the final life-sized 3D version the armor. The armor was also featured in the 2008 Iron Man: Viva Las Vegas limited series.
- The red and gold color combination was inspired by Tony Stark's love for hot rods.
- 14 Appearances of Iron Man Armor MK III (Earth-199999)
- 13 Images featuring Iron Man Armor MK III (Earth-199999)
- Item Gallery: Iron Man Armor MK III (Earth-199999)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Iron Man Armor MK III (Earth-199999)
Links and References