- Let... Kate... go... Boomerang -- ... or... I'm... going... to... have... your... head!
- -- The Hulk
Appearing in "From Out of the Night Comes... Boomerang!"Edit
- Max Stryker (First appearance) (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Nightmare (Behind the scenes)
- Mister Douglas (First appearance)
- Mrs. Douglas (First appearance)
- The Douglas' children (First appearance)
- Sirius (First appearance), the dog
Synopsis for "From Out of the Night Comes... Boomerang!"Edit
The mercenary known as Boomerang, having recently been released from prison, flies to the estate of the man responsible for his extradition – Max Stryker. Max Stryker, an aging crime lord, is dying from inoperable cancer. Having learned about Bruce Banner's advances in restorative medicine using gamma radiation, Stryker invited him to test the process on himself. Banner refused, citing that the process is not ready for human trials. Desperate, Stryker instructs Boomerang to kidnap Banner's research assistant, Kate Waynesboro in order to blackmail Banner into conceding to Stryker's wishes.
At Northwind Observatory, Bruce and Kate continue their experiments with the Gammascope. They have now moved on to animal testing. The Douglas family brings their dying pet dog, Sirius, to the observatory and volunteer him as a test subject. The process works, and Sirius' health improves, albeit with the side effect of turning his fur green.
Afterwards, Banner decides to clean up and take a shower. While bathing, he suffers a waking nightmare wherein he sees the Hulk attacking him in the shower. The nightmare ends when Banner hears Kate screaming from the adjacent room. Grabbing his trademark purple shorts, Banner transforms into the Hulk and rushes out to face Boomerang. Boomerang has Waynesboro by the throat, and strikes at the Hulk with his various gimmick boomerangs. Ultimately, he manages to destroy some heavy equipment and brings the entire assembly down on top of the Hulk’s head.
When the Hulk revives, Boomerang and Waynesboro are gone. In their place sits the wheelchair bound Max Stryker. Stryker forces the Hulk to change back into Banner and give him the Gammascope treatment. Once again, the process appears to work, and Stryker is completely healed. Like Sirius, Stryker's skin is now green, but this is a small sacrifice to pay for renewed health.
Afterwards, Banner changes back into the Hulk and leaps towards Manhattan to find Boomerang and Kate. He lands in Central Park and is distracted by a large metal construct that has suddenly appeared in the middle of the park. He is hypnotically drawn to it, and disappears moments after entering the construct's archway.
- The Hulk chronologically appears next in all twelve issues of the Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars limited series before returning to Earth next issue.
- Boomerang was recently incarcerated after a battle with Spider-Man in Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #67.
- Boomerang's employer is referred to as "Max Stryker" in this issue. In subsequent appearances, he is identified as Max Hammer.
- The Douglas family and their dog Sirius appear again next issue. Mrs. Douglas and her children will appear in flashback only.
- Banner's waking hallucination is a result of psychic manipulation by Nightmare. This subplots continues in each issue culminating with the double-sized climax in issue #300.
- Hulk image gallery
- Hulk chronology page
- Hulk quotes page
- Boomerang chronology page
- Kate Waynesboro chronology page
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Incredible Hulk Vol 1 294 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Incredible Hulk series
- Images from Incredible Hulk Vol 1 294
- Incredible Hulk (Volume 1)
- Incredible Hulk (Volume 2)
- Defenders (Volume 1)
- Defenders (Volume 2)
- Rampaging Hulk (Volume 1)
- Rampaging Hulk (Volume 2)
- Tales to Astonish (Volume 1)
Links and ReferencesEdit
- Incredible Hulk profile at Wikipedia
- Incredible Hulk profile at Marvel Universe
- Incredible Hulk profile at Toonopedia
- Incredible Hulk series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Incredible Hulk series index at CBDB
- Incredible Hulk series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Hulk Library