- Hulk doesn't understand. First little man fights Hulk... and now he fights Hulk's enemy? But if Hulk's enemy is little man's enemy... then little man is Hulk's friend!
- -- The Hulk
Appearing in "And Now... the Wolverine!"Edit
- Marie Cartier (Final appearance)
- Canadian Army
Synopsis for "And Now... the Wolverine!"Edit
The clawed hero Wolverine leaps out from the top of a rocky hill landing between the Hulk and The Wendigo. Scurrying onto the Hulk's back, he begins swiping at him with his diamond-hard Adamantium claws, but even they cannot pierce the Hulk's skin. Realizing that the Wendigo may prove to be an easier target, Wolverine springs over the Hulk's head and launches himself at the Wendigo. His suspicions prove correct, and his claws rake into the woodland creature’s hide.
The Hulk, confused by this sudden turn of events, concludes that the "enemy of my enemy is also my friend", so he assists Wolverine in stopping the Wendigo. The Hulk picks the monster up and smashes him through a grove of trees. Wolverine finishes the job by sinking his claws into the Wendigo's throat. The Wendigo is an immortal creature however, and even this seemingly fatal blow is not enough to kill him. For the time being though, the Wendigo is unconscious.
Marie Cartier prepares once again to conduct an occult ritual that will remove the spirit of the Wendigo from her brother's body, and transpose it onto the Hulk. With the Hulk unconscious, he slowly changes back into Robert Banner. Georges refuses to take part in Marie's plan any longer. Arguing that it was bad enough when she intended on placing the curse on a mindless monster, but now she plans to subject an innocent human being to the curse of the Wendigo. Georges angrily storms off.
Marie tries to drag Banner's body back into the cave with the unconscious Wendigo, but Banner awakens and just as quickly turns back into the Hulk. Wolverine revives as well and the two begin fighting once again. Marie flees from the battle and races back into the cave. The Hulk swings a mighty punch, but Wolverine manages to roll just in time so that it is only a glancing blow. The punch is still strong enough to knocks him out however.
Inside the cave, Marie discovers that Georges has completed her occult ritual. He has transferred the power of the Wendigo out of Paul Cartier's body, and placed it inside his own. As the new Wendigo, the last vestiges of Georges' intellect quickly fade away, but not before he manages to profess his love for Marie Cartier. The Wendigo turns and smashes through a section of cavern wall and runs off into the forest. Paul Cartier is now forever free of the curse of the Wendigo.
- Cover art modifications by Romita.
- This issue is the first full appearance of Wolverine. Wolverine made a one-panel cameo appearance in Incredible Hulk #180. He appears next in Incredible Hulk #182.
- This issue is reprinted in the The Incredible Hulk and Wolverine #1 one-shot special, the Wolverine Battles the Incredible Hulk #1 one-shot special, 100 Greatest Marvels of All Time #3, X-Men Firsts #1, Marvel Milestone: Incredible Hulk #181, the Best of Wolverine and Marvel's Mightiest Heroes: Wolverine.
- Georges Baptiste appeared last in Incredible Hulk #180. He becomes the second Wendigo in this issue. Baptiste appears next in Monsters Unleashed #9.
- Final appearance of Marie Cartier.
- First and only appearance of Matthews and Holeridge, two officers in the Royal Canadian Air Force.
- The letters column for this issue is edited by Jo Duffy.
- This issue includes Marvel Value Stamp #54: Shanna the She-Devil.
- This issue gives Wolverine's height as 5'5", whereas the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Vol 2 #14 indicates his height as 5'3".
- The film Hulk vs. Wolverine is based on this issue, Wolverine's costume in the film is loosely based of his first costume, as is an episode of Wolverine and the X-men.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Incredible Hulk Vol 1 181 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Incredible Hulk series
- Images from Incredible Hulk Vol 1 181
- Incredible Hulk #162 (1st appearance of the Wendigo)
- Incredible Hulk #180 (Wolverine cameo)
- Incredible Hulk #340 (Wolverine vs. Grey Hulk)
- Giant-Size X-Men #1 (Wolverine joins the X-Men)
- X-Men #139 (Wolverine vs. the Wendigo)
- X-Men #140 (Wolverine vs. the Wendigo)
- Hulk/Wolverine: Six Hours #1-4
- Wolverine/Hulk #1-4
- Ultimate Wolverine vs. the Hulk #1-6 (Alternate continuity)
- What If? #31: What If Wolverine Killed the Hulk?
- What If? Vol 2 #50: What If the Hulk Killed Wolverine?
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|