Of the seven individuals who have held the name Hobgoblin at one time or another in the Earth-616 Universe, Roderick Kingsley, a former fashion designer, is the original, longest running, and possibly best-known Hobgoblin.
Other characters who used the identity of the Hobgoblin in the main Marvel universe during Kinglsey's numerous bouts of retirement, include:
- Arnold Donovan, a small-time thug working for Kingsley who had a very short, and fatal, tenure as the Hobgoblin.
- Edward Leeds, a Daily Bugle reporter who was brainwashed by Kingsley to act as the third Hobgoblin, and later killed.
- Jason Macendale, Jr., a mercenary who started his criminal career as the original Jack O'Lantern, who took the mantle upon Leeds death; he was later killed by Kigsley, who reclaimed the mantle of the Hobgoblin.
- An unnamed man in a new Hobgoblin costume that attacked Steven Rogers during The Secret War, but failed to defeat him, and was captured.
- Daniel Kingsley, Roderick's twin-brother who took his place with Roderick's original costume.
- Phillip Urich, a mentally unstable hero-turned-villain who slaughtered Daniel Kingsley, and currently operates as The Hobgoblin.
The Alternate Versions listed below include versions of the men listed above, in addition to others who have held the name in other Universes.