Not to be confused with the Imperial Guard of the Shi'ar Empire.
In the Earth-616 Universe, the mantle of the Hobgoblin has been passed to many individuals, though former fashion designer Roderick Kingsley is the original, longest running, and possibly best-known Hobgoblin.
Other characters who used the identity of the Hobgoblin in the main Marvel universe during Kinglsey's numerous bouts of retirement, include:
- Arnold Donovan, a small-time thug working for Kingsley who had a very short, and fatal, tenure as the Hobgoblin.
- Edward Leeds, a Daily Bugle reporter who was brainwashed by Kingsley to act as the third Hobgoblin, and later killed.
- Jason Macendale, Jr., a mercenary who started his criminal career as the original Jack O'Lantern, who took the mantle upon Leeds death; he was later killed by Kigsley, who reclaimed the mantle of the Hobgoblin.
- An unnamed man in a new Hobgoblin costume that attacked Steven Rogers during The Secret War, but failed to defeat him, and was captured.
- Daniel Kingsley, Roderick's twin-brother, who took his place with Roderick's original costume.
- Phillip Urich, a mentally unstable hero-turned-villain who slaughtered Daniel Kingsley, and currently operates as The Hobgoblin.
The Alternate Versions listed below are versions of Roderick Kingsley; alternate versions of other Hobgoblins are described in the 'Others' section.