Not to be confused with the Imperial Guard of the Shi'ar Empire.
In the Earth-616 Universe, the Hobgoblin mantle has been passed to many individuals, though former fashion designer Roderick Kingsley is the original, longest running and possibly best-known Hobgoblin.
Other characters who used the Hobgoblin identity in the main Marvel universe during the original's numerous bouts of retirement, include:
- Arnold "Lefty" Donovan, a small-time thug working who had a very short and fatal, tenure as the second Hobgoblin.
- Edward "Ned" Leeds, a Daily Bugle reporter who was brainwashed by Kingsley to act as the third Hobgoblin and later killed.
- Jason Macendale, Jr., a mercenary who started his criminal career as the original Jack O'Lantern who took the mantle; he was later killed by Kigsley to reclaim the Hobgoblin mantle.
- An unnamed man, a new Hobgoblin costume that attacked Steven Rogers during the Secret War but failed to defeat him and was captured.
- Daniel Kingsley, Roderick's twin-brother who took his place with the original costume.
- Phillip "Phil" Urich, a mentally unstable hero-turned-villain who slaughtered Daniel Kingsley, and formely operated as the Hobgoblin until he became the Goblin Knight.
The Alternate Versions listed below are versions of Roderick Kingsley; alternate versions of other Hobgoblins are described in the 'Others' section.