In the Autumn of 1960, scientist Leslie Evans and girlfriend Alice witnessed a blinding object falling from the sky. When Evans went to investigate the next day, he not only found the object, but discovered it was alive. Evans looked on as the alien creature, Groot, grew larger by the minute as he absorbed wooden objects into his own body. There in the woods, Groot announced his presence to the nearby community. Claiming to be the Monarch of Planet X, Groot announced that he had come to Earth to take a small Terran town back to his homeworld for its scientists to study. While the humans resisted, no gunfire, or even conventional fire could penetrate Groot's hide. Seeing the futility of trying to fight Groot directly, Evans abandoned the townspeople and raced back to his laboratory, for which he was labeled a coward.
Over the next three days, Groot used his ability to control trees and plants to turn the forest into a make-shift army. His announced intention was to use Earth's native vegetation to create a net of roots to allow him to lift the town into space whole. When Groot entered the town, Evans snuck up behind him and unleashed the fruits of his frantic work: a specially bred colony of termites. The insects voraciously ate through Groot's hide, and into his core. Groot collapsed in a a state of shock, and was believed dead by the townsfolk.
Later, however, Groot was seen alive and captured in Collector's zoo beneath Canada. When the Mole Man attacked the Collector in his lair, the security in the Collector's zoo failed, and the monsters were released. The stampede of monsters eventually arrived in New York, and were engaged by the Thing and the Hulk. Joined by the Beast and Giant-Man, the four heroes defeated the horde of monsters, including Droom, Groot, Grottu, Grogg , Gargantus, Rommbu, Taboo, Tragg, and Vandoom's Monster. Afterwards, the Hulk hurled all the monsters through a portal and into the Negative Zone. 
At some point, Groot returned to Earth, supposedly to Monster Isle.
Later, Groot was tracked down and engaged by a unit of the Howling Commandos of Area 13, a branch of SHIELD dedicated to tackling supernatural threats through supernatural means. Groot had blended into the surrounding woodland, despite his size, but was ferreted out by Sasquatch and the Abominable Snowman's sense of smell. The unit -- also including Gorilla Man and Warwolf -- disoriented Groot with high-pitch sonics and brought him down.
Teleported to Area 13, Gorilla Man informed Groot of his options: either join Area 13 as part of the the solution, or be imprisoned as part of the problem. When a horde of fantastic creatures under the control of Merlin poured into Area 13 through a magical portal, the larger creatures were released from their cells, causing a stampede which crushed many of the invaders. Arriving in Merlin's territory on the other side of the portal, Groot met up again with the Howling Commandos. Realizing that Area 13 would just catch up to him again if he escaped, and that the landscape had been so warped by magic that it was physically painful to him, Groot has offered to assist the commandos.
Following the defeat of "Merlin" Groot apparently went back into space, eventually finding himself in Kree space, where he was promptly captured and imprisoned. While in jail he formed a rapport with Rocket Raccoon and was assigned to a covert ops team lead by Starlord, whose goal was to assault Hala and defeat the Phalanx. His body was mostly destroyed, but a small twig of him split off, preserving him, traveling in the care of Rocket Raccoon, fitting easily in his hand. He can grow back to his full size in time.
He is currently a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Groot feeds by absorbing wooden objects into his body, and can even grow larger by absorbing such objects.
Groot's hide is composed of wood dense enough and durable enough to make him immune to most conventional weapons, including gunfire and fire which would consume most woods.
Groot can animate and command trees and plants, capable of even ordering a whole forest to uproot itself as an improvised army.
|Power Grid |
- The Planet X which is home to Goom and Googam, as well as the Planet X of Kurrgo seen in Fantastic Four Vol 1, No. 7 (October 1962) -- later named Xanth in the Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe -- may or may not be the same planet X from which Groot claims to come. However, the Planet X of Fantastic Four fame has since been destroyed, while Groot recently returned home.
- In Tales of Suspense No. 4 (July 1959), explorers from Earth encountered a seemingly uninhabited planet in system 427 in the year 2500. It turns out that the planet was actually dominated by sentient, animate trees. It is unknown if there is any connection between this race of trees and Groot.
- In the Incredible Hulk Vol 2, Annual 5, Xemnu the Titan created robot replicas of five monsters, including Groot, to battle the Hulk. The replica Groot also had the ability to fire thorns from his hands as missles, though Groot himself has never demonstrated this ability.
- In Sensational Spider-Man No. -1 (July 1997), Nightmare created apparitions of several classic Marvel monsters, including Groot, to torment a sleeping Peter Parker. Groot was also the name of one of Nightmare's "Nightmare Toads". This version of Groot once attacked a stone effigy of Doctor Strange, never realizing that the statue was imbued with a portion of Nightmare's power. The lifeless statue retaliated and blasted Groot with a beam of energy. 
- 59 Appearances of Groot (Earth-616)
- 13 Images featuring Groot (Earth-616)
- 3 Quotations by or about Groot (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Groot (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Groot (Earth-616)
- Nick Fury's Howling Commandos, No. 2 (January 2006)
- Marvel Monsters: From the Files of Ulysses Bloodstone (and the Monster Hunters)
- Groot's profile and related articles at Monster Blog
- Prime Eternal's online profile of Groot at Jeff Christiansen's Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: