- Perhaps for the first time within memory... I have found something... something worth protecting!
Appearing in "If This Be Doomsday!"Edit
- Phil (First appearance)
- United States of America
Synopsis for "If This Be Doomsday!"Edit
With Galactus on Earth, the Watcher tries to appeal to the planet eater to leave Earth alone, when diplomacy doesn't work Johnny and Thing try to attack Galactus to no effect, Watcher tells them to return to their base and he will contact them shortly.
Meanwhile, the unconscious Silver Surfer is taken in and cared for by Alicia Masters. Meanwhile, Galactus continues to assemble his planet devouring device and the Watcher explains to the Fantastic Four what will happen to the Earth if Galactus succeeds. The Watcher explains that there is a device aboard Galactus' ship that he will need the Human Torch to collect. While back at Alicia's apartment, Alicia learns of the Surfer's mission on Earth and appeals to him to turn against his master and help save the Earth.
When the Fantastic Four begin attacking Galactus' almost completed device, the planet eater sends his cyborg Punisher to keep them out of his way while he repairs the device. With this distraction and delay, the Watcher uses a device to boost Johnny's powers to a degree that will allow him to travel to Galactus' ship and retrieve the weapon they need to defeat him. While finally, Alicia convinces the Surfer to help save the Earth.
- This issue is reprinted in Marvel Masterworks #25, Marvel Masterworks: Fantastic Four #5, 100 Greatest Marvels of All Time #1, Marvel Visionaries: Jack Kirby, Volume 1, Essential Fantastic Four, Volume 3, Marvel's Greatest Comics #35, the Silver Surfer: The Coming of Galactus trade paperback and Fantastic Four (Fireside).
The hands of Galactus used on this cover art were subsequently used on the Target novelisation of Doctor Who - The Three Doctors (1974).
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Fantastic Four Vol 1 49 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Fantastic Four series
- Images from Fantastic Four Vol 1 49
Links and ReferencesEdit
|Like this? Let us know!|