- Doctor Doom!? Who—? What is he?
Appearing in "Prisoners of Doctor Doom!"Edit
- Doctor Doom (Victor von Doom) (First appearance) - (Appears in flashback and main story)
- Doom's pet tiger
- Doom's pet vulture
- Doombot (First appearance)
- Unnamed New Yorkers
- Several pirates
- Mr. Spliny
- Hulk (In a photograph only)
- Doctor Doom's Time Platform (First appearance)
- Merlin Stones (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Prisoners of Doctor Doom!"Edit
Part 1: Prisoners of Doctor Doom!
Johnny, while reading an issue of The Incredible Hulk, compares Ben to the monster. Ben grabs the comic, but Johnny sets it afire. Reed and Sue stop them before they come to blows. The lights go out, despite their emergency generator. Doctor Doom, in a helicopter, drops a net over the Baxter Building. When Doom calls out to them, Reed recognizes the voice: Victor von Doom, an old college classmate. After an experiment, during which Doom tried to communicate with the dead but instead caused an explosion, he was expelled. Doom demands Sue as a hostage, and she agrees.
Part 2: Back to the Past!Doom next demands that the other three board his helicopter and pledge not to attack him. He lowers a cage over Reed, Ben, and Johnny, and takes them to his castle. Once there, he tells them that he has invented a time machine and that they must retrieve Blackbeard's treasure chest from the past. With Sue as Doom's hostage, they must agree. Doom presses a button, activating the time platform they were unwittingly standing on. They appear in a port, where they come across two brigands arguing over a stolen bundle of clothes. Ben scares them off. With the clothes, they disguise themselves, including a heavy black beard for Ben. Looking for someone in Blackbeard's crew, they go to a tavern. Two pirates tell the barmaid to serve the strangers drugged grog.
Part 3: On the Trail of Blackbeard
Reed, Ben, and Johnny wake up in the hold of a pirate ship. Ben bursts through the deck and subdues the entire crew. When another ship appears, Ben takes command and orders his crew to attack!
Part 4: Battle!
Johnny flames on, harasses the other ship, and raises a cloud of steam. Reed stretches to the other ship like a gangplank, over which their crew passes. A quick fight ensues. While Reed and Johnny haul a treasure chest out of the hold, the crew hails Ben as Blackbeard. Reed empties the chest, reminding Johnny that they only promised to bring back Blackbeard's chest, not the treasure itself, and he replaces the treasure with chains. On deck, they realize that Ben is the Blackbeard of legend. He refuses to return with them, ordering the crew to douse Johnny, wrap Reed in a sail, and set them adrift in a lifeboat. Before they can launch the boat, though, a huge waterspout strikes the ship and destroys it. Reed and Johnny make it to shore, where they find Ben and the chest.
Part 5: The Vengeance of Doctor Doom!
The time platform appears above them and returns them to the present. Doom says that the treasure includes gems enchanted by Merlin and that they will make him "invincible." He opens the chest and sees that he's been cheated, which gives Ben the opportunity to attack. A single punch shatters the armor—and the machinery inside. It's a robot! The real Doom, in another part of the castle, activates a screen and tells them he will draw the air from their chamber. Sue, still his hostage, sees her chance. She turns invisible and short-circuits his control panel, which explodes. Doom is caught in the blast. She runs to the chamber and opens the door. Rather than confront Doom, who Reed assumes has traps everywhere, they decide to escape. Reed stretches through a window across the moat, Ben pushes that section of wall open while Reed pulls, and Johnny uses "atomic heat" to make a path across the moat. Doom escapes with his Rocket-Powered Flying Harness.
- First appearance of Doctor Doom. Here Doctor Doom's costume has a large black collar and lacks the cloak that he would soon add. His heir Kristoff Vernard will later wear an outfit similar to this one. Doom returns next issue.
- First Appearance of Doctor Doom's Time Platform. It appears next in Fantastic Four #19.
- The Merlin Stones are seen again in Marvel Comics Presents #62.
- Johnny Storm is seen reading a copy of Incredible Hulk #1. The Hulk will make his first appearance in this series in Fantastic Four #12.
- In our history, Blackbeard was a documented person (real name Edward Teach) rather than a legend. He practiced piracy for 27 months, beginning in 1716. In the Marvel Universe history, some events happened differently, presumably including the career of Blackbeard.
- Thing's time as Blackbeard is briefly revisited in Iron Man Vol 2 #11.
- Future Fantastic Four writer Roy Thomas has a letter printed in this issue, in which he praises the title's attention to continuity.
- This issue is reprinted in other comics and books, see references for more info.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Fantastic Four Vol 1 5 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Fantastic Four series
- Images from Fantastic Four Vol 1 5
- Reviews about Fantastic Four Vol 1 5
Links and ReferencesEdit
- The Fantastic Four at Wikipedia
- The Fantastic Four at Marvel Subscriptions
- The Fantastic Four series index at Comicbookdb.com
- The Fantastic Four series index at the Grand Comics Database Project
- Related Fantastic Four comics on this site
- Marvel Comics Index #4
- Official Marvel Index to the Fantastic Four #1
- ↑ Appears next in Fantastic Four #19
- ↑ Appears next in Marvel Comics Presents #62
- ↑ The first story is reprinted in the following comics/TPB's:
- Essential Fantastic Four #1 - 6th story
- Fantastic Four Annual #2 - 2nd story
- Fantastic Four
- Fantastic Four Omnibus HC #1 - 6th story
- Fantastic Four: The Movie TPB #1 - 3rd story
- Bring on the Bad Guys, (Fireside)
- Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four 2nd Edition HC #1 - 6th story
- Marvel Masterworks: Fantastic Four HC #1 - 6th story
- Marvel Masterworks: Fantastic Four TPB #1 - 6th story
- Marvel Milestone Edition: Fantastic Four #5 - 1st story
|Like this? Let us know!|