Earth-2149 was largely identical to that of the main Marvel reality, Earth-616, with only a few minor differences. For example, Colonel America was at one point President of the United States, though he never served a full term, and some characters, such as Luke Cage and Falcon (Sam Wilson) retained older versions of their costumes.
This reality was ravaged when a version of the Sentry literally punched his way in from yet another alternative world, bringing with him a disease that turned individuals into flesh-eating zombies. The Avengers were the first on the scene after Sentry crashed in the middle of Manhattan, and all were quickly killed or infected. The disease soon spread throughout the superhuman community, with the super powered undead feasting on the non-powered population. With most of the human life of this Earth extinguished, the super-zombies wandered the world, tormented by hunger with nothing to eat.
The zombie contagion passed via a bite from an infected being. The infected appeared to be dead, or at least decaying, but retained their intelligence, personality and special abilities. The disease caused a hunger in the host, a hunger which could only be sated by ingesting the flesh of the living; the flesh of other infected tasted foul to them and could induce illness. The hunger affected the infected's self control; the more hungry they were, the less rational and intelligent they became. Once sated, the zombies' personalities re-emerged, and the more humane and moral individuals often felt great guilt at this point.
There was no known cure for the disease, and it appeared to be 100% infectious; both Wolverine and the Hulk, individuals normally highly resistant or immune to diseases, were affected. However, as noted by Spider-Man, those with any kind of accelerated healing appear to be able to fend off the zombification longer after being bit than others; however, the virus would eventually take hold of them. The disease was also shown to affect Asgardians.The contagion appeared to have an addictive element to it, as the hunger was entirely mental; severed zombie heads still had the gnawing hunger, despite not even having a stomach. Also, like any addiction, the hunger could be cured in a sense. If a victim could be isolated from a food supply, within a couple of weeks the cravings disappeared and the subject was able perform a functioning role within society, albeit with necrotized flesh and near-immortality.
Points of InterestEdit
- Tarnax IV
- Earth-2149 is the reality of the zombie world introduced in 2005's Ultimate Fantastic Four #21, in the "Crossover" story arc, and later explored further in the Marvel Zombies miniseries.
- Since the zombified heroes of this world attempted to trick the Reed Richards of the Ultimate Universe into opening a gateway so that they could spread to his dimension, it is safe to assume that the Zombie-Sentry no longer has the ability to punch through the walls of reality, or was no longer available to do so.
- Mark Millar and Greg Land are the original creators of Earth-2149.
- Zombie-Thor is shown wielding a makeshift hammer made of rubble, implying that as a member of the undead, he was no longer deemed worthy to wield Mjolnir.
- Earth-2149 has also unofficially been called "Earth-91126" by Marvel Zombies writer Robert Kirkman. In Marvel Zombies Return, Earth-91126 became an official name for the other universe infected by Earth-2149's fugitives.
- The designation Earth-2149 was given in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Alternate Universes 2005. With the release of Marvel Zombies, many fans began referring to it as Earth-615. This possibly stems from a Newsarama forum post.
- Characters from Earth-2149
- Other things related to Earth-2149
- Earth-2149's Appearances
- Images from Earth-2149
- Reality Gallery: Earth-2149
- Ultimate Fantastic Four #21-23, #30-32
- Marvel Zombies #1-5 (2006)
- Marvel Zombies 2 #1-5 (2007-2008)
- Transwiki:Marvel Zombies (homage covers)