The term "Doombot" refers to various series of robots originally created by Doctor Doom. All robots that are now identified as "Doombots" are exact physical and mental replicas of the original Victor von Doom in his armored form. They are designed with psionic disguising circuitry that is capable of fooling low level telepaths into accepting them as the real Dr. Doom. Their advanced A.I. program makes them believe themselves to be the real Doom, except when they are in the presence of Doom or another Doombot. They were created to replace Doom whenever he cannot be present at a situation, or whenever he does not want to risk his own life.
Originally the term "Doombot" was applied to various different types of robot created by Von Doom, including the series that was later known as Servo-Guards. It was later restricted to his armored duplicate robots, and does not include his look-alike unmasked Victor Von Doom robots, though these also stand in for Von Doom when he deems it necessary.(Robots)
At present it is used for only two different models: the "Fighting" and "Diplomat" classes. Both of them have the same base A.I. and systems, differing only in their primary classification. All of the types formerly included are now given different names, such as Servo-Guards.
- Combat/Fighting Doombots are enhanced with super strength and reinforced for direct combat, even being able to hold their own temporarily with Ben Grimm in his Thing form. Doom sends a fighting Doombot whenever he considers a fight probably, because they use heavier weaponry, and sometimes even additional weapon systems. Most of these combat units are far too strong to make enemies think they are fighting the real human non-enhanced Doom.
- Diplomat Doombots have a higher intelligence and normal armor levels, and lack the strength and reinforcement of the fighting Doombots. Diplomats are used in diplomatic meetings such as the United Nations and when dealing and/or seducing with potential allies such as the X-Men's Storm.
Doom has at least 10 Diplomat and 50 Fighter Doombots at any given moment.
Doom recently has begun using Doombots openly as attack robots akin to his Servo-Guards, rather than as secret stand-ins complete with non human voices, defeating their original purpose of being secret stand-ins.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Robotic construction providing them an armor and general immunity to mental, emotional and illusion attacks - although they are susceptible to machinery-affecting and psionic attacks that can disrupt their logic functions.
- Force Lightning: All the Doombots can shoot lightning from their gauntlets similar to Doom's attack.
- Jetpack: All the Doombots have jet packs allowing them flight.
- Parabolic Hear Aidings: Some Doombots, specially fighting Doombots, have been seen using this device to detect unusual frequencies and very weak sounds.
- Self-Repair: Small mechanic limbs and tools in the head of every Doombot allow them to re-construct the rest of the body. This allows the robot to infiltrate in enemy fortresses: The pieces are sent through a different way, and the head builds the body in minutes.
- Electricity Discharge: Each Fighting Doombot can generate an electric shock that can only be used at point-blank range. Enemies are usually knocked down with this attack.
- Infra-red scanner: This allows Doombots to detect heat sources, including invisible humans. Only fighting Doombots have been seen using this.
- Self-destruct: Doombots self-destruct whenever they are in risk of being captured or defeated, or even at Doom's whim when a diplomat Doombot allowed Arcade to strike a match on that Diplomat Doombot and was not killed for that affront). The explosion damages nearby enemies.
Strength levelCombat/Fighting Doombots have superhuman strength comparable to Ben Grimm though below Grimm's regular Thing form full strength level. Diplomat doombots are usually far weaker that their fighting counterparts at the same level of the real human unenhanced Von Doom to complete their disguise.
Doombots can be made ineffective if their master does not give them commands to act on their own if in the presence of their Master. Doombots also have the same problems that the real Von Doom armor has including failure on power depletion, super energy attacks etc., plus various mechanical ones such as super EMP attacks that can disrupt their circuitry, though most do not have access to such weaponry.
EquipmentSee Known Powers.
See Known Powers.
Doombots are indistinguishable from the real Doctor Doom
Appearances in Other MediaEdit
In the 1981 Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends cartoon, while they are never referred to as "Doombots", Doctor Doom made use of robot doubles on more than one occasion. In one of his first battles with Spider-Man, after his plan to replace the U.N. security council with robot doubles was thwarted, Doom himself escaped capture by replacing himself with a robot. Much later, when he had finally gained firm control of the world (for the moment), an array of Doombots took the place of all the world's leaders. It was also on this occasion that Boris escaped his master's wrath using a robot version of himself. When the real Doom was destroyed, all of his robots shut down.
Although they do not hold the same role, Doom's robot minions in Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes are referred to as "Doombots." These are designed with weapons to counter the powers of the Fantastic Four, (i.e. an ice cannon for the Human Torch). A similar idea was used in the Super Hero Squad show, only they were designed to have a similar appearance to Doctor Doom.
- 102 Appearances of Doombot (Earth-616)
- 2 Images featuring Doombot (Earth-616)
- 4 Quotations by or about Doombot (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Doombot (Earth-616)
- Fan-Art Gallery: Doombot (Earth-616)
List of Appearances
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|